Drink Dispenser Nano Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drink Dispenser Nano Tank

I wanted to share this drink dispenser nano tank I am working on. Its a birthday present for my mom. But it also started my need for wanting my own planted tank again. Long story I used to have fish tanks but had to sell when I moved. Anyway making a blog about it as I go, so if anyone else wanted to make one. I'm calling it The Green Betta Project, b/c I want to get a really pretty betta for it. It will have a heater, light, dwarf hairgrass, and a sponge filter. And the spigot will work to make water changes then fill it up on the top with a stainless steel funnel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had the same idea at the store recently and my wife said, "You see a fish tank in everything." I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks I'm worried it might leak. It was hard to get the sealant inside around the bottom of it. Water test in a few days, we are getting some bad weather soon. I also got one of those fish bowl heaters and its not heating the water above 70 Degrees. But if I get a long heater I can't hide it under the gravel. Any advice on another small heater that is super small but works.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
I had the same idea at the store recently and my wife said, "You see a fish tank in everything." I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops.
I bet you also watch the show tanked. I love that show.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
It has been my experience that most of those nano, non-adjustable heaters are awful. They either do not heat enough or heat too much. I had one on a 3 gal that wouldn't stay below 86.

I am curious, where do you plan to put the light and what do you plan to use? Where do you plan to run any cables?

I like this idea, but I am just no t sure how everything will work out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You can run cables and place the heater in the back and hide it all with fast growing tall plants. You can either notch the lid for cables and DIY some led's to it or remove the lid completely and use a desk lamp.

Water changes are going to be a breeze. Love it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
It has been my experience that most of those nano, non-adjustable heaters are awful. They either do not heat enough or heat too much. I had one on a 3 gal that wouldn't stay below 86.

I am curious, where do you plan to put the light and what do you plan to use? Where do you plan to run any cables?

I like this idea, but I am just no t sure how everything will work out.
The http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXNQ9OU/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1will be on top above the lid, I am going to cut a circle hole in the lid. Cutting small hole to run the cables in the lid.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would love to watch tanked, but not part of my cable subscription.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbi View Post
Thanks I'm worried it might leak. It was hard to get the sealant inside around the bottom of it. Water test in a few days, we are getting some bad weather soon. I also got one of those fish bowl heaters and its not heating the water above 70 Degrees. But if I get a long heater I can't hide it under the gravel. Any advice on another small heater that is super small but works.
Which heater is it? My experience with the Hydor 7.5 Watt heaters is that they don't heat a ton if you bury them. I also have one of the Marina 8 Watt Betta heaters in a 4G vase, and it keeps the water at a toasty 81F. I don't like it, but it is small and might work well for your purpose. I don't exactly have it buried in the gravel, but it is hidden. I build a small box out of eggcrate and screen and put a pond pump with a fountain attachment in the box. The heater is in there too. Seemed like a great idea at the time, but the flow is terrible and I have to tear up the whole vase to get the pump out and work on it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
You can run cables and place the heater in the back and hide it all with fast growing tall plants. You can either notch the lid for cables and DIY some led's to it or remove the lid completely and use a desk lamp.

Water changes are going to be a breeze. Love it.
Which heater should I get? The one I have is not heating good, returned already through Amazon. And don't have to send it back. I need something small but something I can set the temp on.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And I have two of those Deepblue Solarflare lights. I have them stuck on my 12G Fluval Edge as supplemental lighting to the inculded LED. They have held up well so far. I actually need to reduce the solar period because I have a bad algae outbreak, even with DIY CO2.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Any 25w adjustable heater should do. Most are anywhere between 6-9" in size.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By the way, I love your project, and I'm thinking of doing something similar. Here's what I would change:

-Cut a circle out of the metal lid, but replace it with a piece of plexiglass. Silicone the plexi to the inside of the lid. That way, you have a clear top, but still reduce evaporation. Maybe drill a small hole in the plexi for easy feeding.

-Lees makes a couple of small, round UGF's for bowls. I have one of the 1G and one of the 2G each. Depending on the dimensions of the jar, I might use one of those or cut my own out of a larger UGF. I would turn the elbow around and cut a hole for it in the UGF. When you drained the water, it would siphon out all the gunk from under the UGF.

You mentioned you want to plant DHG, so a UGF wouldn't be the best choice for that. In mine, I'd probably use stem plants and moss. Anyhow, love the blog and I'll be following your progress.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will lowes cut flexiglass for me in a circle. Also I'm worried about that metal lid rusting over time with the moisture.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGHH8Y/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I might get this heater. I will definitely go with the plexiglass mode as I go. And thats a good idea with the undergravel filter but I want plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode