1 watt vs 3 watt led - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 watt vs 3 watt led

So I am in the process of building a led fixture to replace my old t5 HO lighting. There is a lot of information out there but some of it contradicts itself so I now have a few questions.
My tank is a 72Lx24Wx30D low tech setup so according to one website I read all I need to do is multiply length times width divided by 22 which gives me a total of 72 leds, does that seem right? Im not looking for anything more then medium lighting.
Having said that, could I get away with 1 watt led or due to the depth of the tank (30inches) would it be better to go to 3 watt?
Thanks for any help or advice you folks can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneysink View Post
So I am in the process of building a led fixture to replace my old t5 HO lighting. There is a lot of information out there but some of it contradicts itself so I now have a few questions.
My tank is a 72Lx24Wx30D low tech setup so according to one website I read all I need to do is multiply length times width divided by 22 which gives me a total of 72 leds, does that seem right? Im not looking for anything more then medium lighting.
Having said that, could I get away with 1 watt led or due to the depth of the tank (30inches) would it be better to go to 3 watt?
Thanks for any help or advice you folks can give.

ODDLY enough my new 40b build follows your "rule".. funny.
As to suggestions.. First I'd consider using optics for that depth. Second, and more a personal opinion.. pick 1 or 3 w depending on manuf of LED's.
Some 1W put out as much light as 3w and under/over driving either can make a big difference..That is one of the reasons there is so much contradiction...
So optics and led specs regardless of wattage is most important in your case AFAICT.

Then there is individual differences if you just go "generic" LED's. It is messy to say the least..

I know my instinct is to just go 3W since the cost diff is probably minimal. but consider dimming.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I was planning on making them dimming and I think 60 degree optics. I will probably go with Cree because they are a known brand name but there are a lot of chinese knock offs out there for cheap on ebay soo.. I dunno lol

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And I made a mistake on the led numbers, its 78 not 72
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any advise people can give would be great btw.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
And I made a mistake on the led numbers, its 78 not 72
not my day to check math.....
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you are using different wavelength LEDs, I'd definitely go with optics wider than 60*. The colors will not blend well even if the LEDs are right next to each other unless the fixture is raised quite a bit.
If all the LEDs are the same, then you should be fine. I have some cheap Chinese screw-in LEDs that I tried for a little saltwater cube vase. The coverage was good, but the colors do not blend well, I get areas of white and areas of blue.

I usually feel kind of guilty using the quick reply... my replies are rarely quick.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CREE XPG2 cool white is relativelea cheap and safe bet. excellent spectral curve, hight current capability and good effciency. some sort of optics already is on chip.

72 of those is a massive overkill btw

Last edited by dzega; 04-28-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, some good information on this thread. Thanks guys. What is the deal with colored leds? I have read that they are kind of a gimmick because white led's are composed of a full spectrum of colors. But other people say red green and blue can help make colors of fish and plants "pop" like I said there is a lot of contradictory info out there.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Really arent I just trying to find the highest CRI combination possible?
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Really arent I just trying to find the highest CRI combination possible?

first as to "white" LED's being "full spectrum" well not quite.

As to CRI.. Again personally it is not that important..
since this as a "planted tank" forum.. Colored LED's are not "gimmicks" anymore than this hort. light is a gimmick..

in a sense it may be "splitting hairs" but some do like that..

http://www.econoluxindustries.com/Technology.html

So w/ "colored" LEDs you can maximise plant needs and add enough to fill the gap in "white" LEds and approx. whatever color you find "pleasing"..warm to cool.. ect.
A common complaint I hear is white LEd's are "flat" or too "blue", or just off.. in a DIY all those conditions can be met to any personal opinion.. esp. w/ dimming on various channel..

Is it needed or a requirement.. certainly not..
One "issue" that is finally addressed is that most LED's .. due to "economics" were orig. targeted to the Reef market..and oddly enough even now reefers are coming around to adding "color" .. like lime or green or cyan or 660nm red..

The 2 are converging but maintaining a difference..it is quite funny.......
Quote:
CHANNEL ONE:
4 White
10 White
2 Red
2 Cyan
1 Yellow/Orange

CHANNEL TWO:
15 Royal Blue
4 Violet

CHANNEL THREE:
2 Blue

Total 19 LEDs
@ 6500K Kelvin
@ 14K Kelvin
@ 660 NM
@ 520 NM
@ 580-595 NM
Total 19 LEDs
@ 455 NM
@ 410 NM

Total 2 LEDs
@ 460 NM
http://reefradiance.com/lumentek-pro-120.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-29-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: color
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok so I think I am going to go with 4 rows of 17 led's with a 2-1 ratio of cool white to warm white with a few red, blue and cyan distributed evenly throughout. I am having trouble finding optics for the emitters though, they all come with 115-120 degrees lenses which seems to me to be way to wide, I was hoping for something closer to 90 degrees. does anybody know where to get just the optics for these led's?
Also as usual any constructive criticism or advice would be great.
cheers.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
ok so I think I am going to go with 4 rows of 17 led's with a 2-1 ratio of cool white to warm white with a few red, blue and cyan distributed evenly throughout. I am having trouble finding optics for the emitters though, they all come with 115-120 degrees lenses which seems to me to be way to wide, I was hoping for something closer to 90 degrees. does anybody know where to get just the optics for these led's?
Also as usual any constructive criticism or advice would be great.
cheers.

There are a lot of lenses for LED's..
http://www.ledlink-optics.com/Produc...F525EADADBA406

17 series LED's will need a 54-65V DC out ps if using seperate power/ drivers like the LDD series..

W/ combo drivers (ps/driver one unit) that would be 51-62V
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
There are a lot of lenses for LED's..
http://www.ledlink-optics.com/Produc...F525EADADBA406

17 series LED's will need a 54-65V DC out ps if using seperate power/ drivers like the LDD series..

W/ combo drivers (ps/driver one unit) that would be 51-62V
thanks Jeff your the man!
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so I have the led's, drivers, power supply and heat sink. To secure the led's to the heatsink I have 2 bottles of Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive. But it doesn't tell me how much I should be using on each individual star, should I use just a drop? Do the stars have to sit Perfectly flat on the Heatsink or can they be a little off? Anyone with some experience with this stuff please feel free to chime in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode