Stand- the different way??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Stand- the different way???

i was thinking of making a fish tank stand out of 3/4" plywood and 1x1" for corner bracing and along the top for the stand to sit on. will this work? this is like the stands they have at the fish store, but i think stronger because it is a better wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
How big is your tank?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Planted Member

Yeah depends on tank size, as well as the actual design itself. Fish stores here have cheap and expensive versions of stands, although if you are speaking of the cheaper stands, they probably arent using better wood.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have looked at larger commercial tank stands, and I don't like the look of their construction. There is no real frame to speak of and the construction to me is too flimsy in general. I can easily see how some stands could potentially lead to failure of tank seams, etc.

The questions regarding the tank size you are contemplating need to be answered before any advice is given. A stand for a 20 gallon tank is going to be much different than a stand for a 180 gallon tank.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:17 AM
snails are your friend

I've been a carpenter for the last 18+ years, and have made a ton of aquarium stands, though nothing larger than for a 180. The funny thing is; if you buy a tank from All-Glass, Oceanic, Perfecto, etc., they guarantee their tank only if placed on their own brand of stand, and they are pretty much garbage -yet pricey. Show me your plans, and I can give you some competent advice. If 1X1 inch is the strongest bracing structure, I gotta assume this is a small aquarium.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I've been a carpenter for the last 18+ years, and have made a ton of aquarium stands, though nothing larger than for a 180. The funny thing is; if you buy a tank from All-Glass, Oceanic, Perfecto, etc., they guarantee their tank only if placed on their own brand of stand, and they are pretty much garbage -yet pricey. Show me your plans, and I can give you some competent advice. If 1X1 inch is the strongest bracing structure, I gotta assume this is a small aquarium.
Thats a marketing ploy if ever I heard one. It never even occured to me that a tank would have any kind of warranty other than something like a nano cube or something where the components are built in.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:43 AM
snails are your friend

Every aquarium manufacturer has that exact warranty. Stick it on top of their cheap pine stand, 2 year warranty. Put it on anything else at your own risk. Believe me, I hate it.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Every aquarium manufacturer has that exact warranty. Stick it on top of their cheap pine stand, 2 year warranty. Put it on anything else at your own risk. Believe me, I hate it.
To a degree, I can understand it. You know how some people are with building stuff. If you only warranty your tanks on your stands, then you take a little of the idiot factor out of the equation.

Warranty or not, I am going to feel a lot safer putting the 75 I am getting on top of the stand I am currently building. I would actually feel comfortable with my stand supporting the weight of a 180. It just isn't big enough to hold the tank. LOL

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
DIY Aquarium Stand is a good place to start if you have questions.

I've known about the tank warranty issues myself, but I don't think I've ever owned an aquarium that had a matching manufacturer stand...lol...I'm with you guys on most of them just being too sketchy for my taste, especially for the price.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Here is a permapost to a stand design that we have been discussing in another thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...tml#post545578

I built my stand with this design, and it is rock solid. I feel pretty confident in saying that it would support a ton of weight or more. I am getting ready to skin the stand and do the finishing work. Then build the matching canopy.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks for digging up that thread BiscuitSlayer, I was looking for it to post here as well and you beat me to it.

I'm going to be using the same plan myself in the near future, and looking forward to seeing the results of yours and others that get done before I get around to starting.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I just need to snap some pictures of the stand. I'm telling you man, it is a great design. One thing that bothered me was that the bottom part was twisted and a little warped because of the 2X4s. Once I built the legs and and attached the bottom part of the frame, everything squared up and leveled up.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the tank is a 75 gallon 48"x18" and the 1x1 bracing is going to be for the corners for some extra area to screw into.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you mean 2 X 2? which is actually 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" ?

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i think that i am going to make a rectangle with 1x1 corner bracing and door holes cut out with no top or bottom and then add the bottom about 3" off the ground and i don't know what i am going to do about a top. should it be placed on top or sunk in so it covers the trim on the tank? or do i not need a top and just set the tank on the edge of the plywood. then for the doors i will use plywood and i think i should make them flush to the stand or is this not a good idea. then i will add corner trim to hide the plywood edge. does this sound good or not?

Thanks Bluelobster

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode