Canopies and Canister Inlets/Outlets - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Canopies and Canister Inlets/Outlets

For those of you who use both canopies and canister filters:

Do any of you mount your outputs on the sides of the tank? I have gotten into a habit of doing this because I feel like it looks better (one less tube to see) and creates flow across the length of the tank. How would you continue to do this with a canopy?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Open back canopy

FPC#127
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I already have that in mind, but that would mean mounting the outlets on the back of the tank, wouldn't it? I have mine mounted on the sides right now.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

Ah I see, yes it would.

FPC#127
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 03:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You could cut the canopy a couple inches on the side to suit your setup.
Just be sure to strengthen it up somewhere near the rear corners of the canopy to make up for the loss of side support, no difference really.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find mounting the inlet/outlet from the canister to be less noticeable when it's on the back. The sides become easily visible.

I have DIY lights and open top, so I could try mounting on the sides though.

The water flow would be about the same as the spray bars are in the back corners, which is the same location I would put if the spray bars were on the sides.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I guess it comes down to tank foot print/size. For long tanks I like spray bars on the side for flow along the length of the tank. Some tanks will have more than one spray bar /inlet so that comes into factor as well. But in all I like spray bars spraying length wise. But then again I just like to grow water weeds.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm just hesitant to cut slots in my canopy because I bought a nice piece of wood for the exterior. I'm doing miter cuts to hide the edges, so aesthetics is of concern. On the other hand, it would be a pain to scape this way, so I am thinking about my design some more. I based it off of this canopy: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...nopy-hood.html

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I run my hoses up from the back to keep them hidden, but my spraybar then runs along the top of one end of the tank.

All the elbows and plumbing swivel (xp3) so it can pretty much be ran any direction you want once its in the tank. (Back or side whichever)

I'm not sure I see what the advantages of running the hoses in from the side are. It seems like it would have a cleaner look coming in from the rear?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you have the hoses on the sides, you minimize the stuff you can see if you look at it straight on from the front.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your tank has no background, or am I misunderstanding?

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As of right now, no, no background. But, hey, that's a great idea. I may consider it.

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm coming across a major dilemma right now. One one hand, I like everything to be flush, smooth, and seamless. On the other hand, we are plant geeks, and I do like to get my hands (and arms) wet. Since this is a 55g, it is already pretty awkward to scape. With the design I'm working with, the canopy only opens from the top, not the front. This means I will have an additional 6" of height to work around.

What do you think?

If I were to make the front removeable with the top, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the lines as invisible as possible? (The lines being the edges of the front/top piece that can be pulled out)

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
you can always use some wood sealant and then sand it down to make everything nice and smooth.
The whole point of a diy canopy is to make it so it works for you, adding an extra 6" is not making the job easier..

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Planted Member

I just take my canopy off when I am working in the tank on my 75.

For my 215 I set the whole thing up on edge against the wall..

FPC#127

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode