Carpentry Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Carpentry Question

I am a college student living in an apartment, so I am limited in terms of tools. The only power tool I own is a drill. Is there any place that would either allow me to use their tools or do a few cuts for me cheaply? I am thinking that Home Depot and Lowe's won't do it, since I want to use a miter saw. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to do biscuit joints and countersunk screws, but I think that might be asking for a bit much.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use my school's wood & metal shop sometimes.

Just take a woodworking course or make friends with the shopkeeper... You can make a aquarium stand on the weekends.

Make sure to get trained on the equipments. I don't think they would let you use it otherwise.

I've seen some bloody stumps.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
There are many places that rent power tools such as Home Depot.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You can buy a tool for roughly $20 to countersink screws. It attaches to any drill. It is by far my favoite tool. Basically it is a drill bit on one side with a countersink head near the base (for the countersink hole). On the other side, it has a place to attach a phillips or whatever type of head you want. The coolest part is that it has a quick dissconnect to flip back and forth between the two sides. I know that Dewalt and Porter Cable make them. I have used both. I like Porter cable the most. To give you an idea about durability, I was able to finish my basement with one Porter Cable tool and it is still going strong.

As far as your mitered joints go, I know that Lowes and Home Depot will cut plywood or sheets of lumber for you. At one time, Home Depot used to have a compound miter saw for cutting lumber. I haven't payed too much attention to seeing the miter saw lately, but I would check with them.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, the Porter Cable website sucks. Couldn't find what I was talking about. I did find it on the Dewalt site though!

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/ac...categoryID=581

If you look at the picture on that page, you will see the phillips head. Basically, you would just push the locking mechanisim forward which would release the middle section, then flip and you have a countersinking drill bit on the other side.

I love those things...

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Hmmm...interesting link, thanks for that. I have a really bad drill, I will have to see if I can work with it.

I know how to use most of the stuff I'm looking for. I'd be afraid to use something I didn't know how to

Our school does have nice equipment, but unfortunately, you need to be in some kind of extracurricular activity with a faculty advisor to use it. Shouldn't have quit our aerospace club

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
A counter sinking bit is cheap, only a few dollars. Looks like this http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/v...&name=A4contsk Shouldn't cost close to 20 dollars, but BiscuitSlayer is talking about a drill bit with a countersinking base all in one. Those are convient sometimes but not as usfull sometimes as the depth of the hole made will always be the same. Even cheaper still, you could just use a big drill bit.
My local Rona will do as many cuts as you want but they charge something like a dollar per cut. Not absolutely sure how much they charge, I've never had to use this service. I always recomend buying your own tools. It doesn't have to be very expensive. Unless you're a contractor, there is no need to buy the very best tools. Just get some cheap to mid level tools. Or you could even try a pawn shop. Pawn shops are always loaded with power tools but for me i'd rather buy brand new cheap tools over used pawn shop tools.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
i am not sure if you like this idea.

Not long before, I bought one power saw at HD, and thought would return it when the project finished. I lived in an apartment, too. But somehow, i decided to keep it.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagius View Post
i am not sure if you like this idea.

Not long before, I bought one power saw at HD, and thought would return it when the project finished. I lived in an apartment, too. But somehow, i decided to keep it.
Please don't do this. It's almost as bad as stealing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFizbin View Post
Please don't do this. It's almost as bad as stealing.
He wound up keeping it though. He was going to return it after the project but wound up keeping it.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Like already mentioned, alot places rent tools HD included.

Another idea would be to walk onto a jobsite in burb being built near you and just ask one of the guys.
You could always offer to buy lunch, clean up around the worksite etc.

You could even land a summer job.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
^^ That's almost exactly how I began working in construction! 17 years later, I'm just now opening a tropical fish store~

Scale, what type of stand do you have in mind? With a power drill and a crosscut or "skill" saw, you can make an awful lot of simple stands. If you are hoping to build a cabinet, it will get more complex with the design. Schools have a ton of resources, I bet there's some way to access their woodshop after some training.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode