Tank building - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Tank building

Hi All,

I am planning on building some all glass tanks 36" x 18" x 13' tall which is a 40 gallon long. They will have no frame with two 6" wide glass panels across the top for support.

just looking for input from anyone that has already built one (any size) about what to and not to do while tackling this project.

I have not checked the price of pre-cut 1/4" glass panels as of yet, but if the savings is there for the number of tanks I need (6) I am going to build them.

I have repaired and replaced broken panels on tanks and it is actually not that hard to do....

So anyone got any tips?

Thanks in advance, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hopefully you can find better priced glass than I can locally. Having recently constructed a cube I didn't save money on just the tank.

FWIW, having built numerous pieces of furniture and cabinets over the years I have found it only makes economic sense to build something yourself if what you require is not available (ie. non-standard size, etc.). By the time you buy all the supplies often times it ends up costing more than having purchased it.

If I wanted six 40L's I'd wait for Petco or Petsmart to have thier one cent per gallon sale and I'd be standing in-line when they openned LOL.

Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd have to agree with Yanky on this one. Does the tank have to be 13" high? A standard 40 breeder is 36x18x16, and can be had new for ~$80.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankyTexan View Post
If I wanted six 40L's I'd wait for Petco or Petsmart to have thier one cent per gallon sale and I'd be standing in-line when they openned LOL.
If they had a cent per gallon sale I would probably camp out there overnight!

But even if they sell them for a dollar a gallon, much cheaper than making them yourself. If you really want rimless and not spend that much, maybe start with the store bought tank, remove the rim, and add the brace(s)?

I looked into building a tank before and just the glass pane was almost as much as the entire tank when on sale. That wasn't for 1/4" glass panes though... they can't be that expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Thanks All, after more research it does seem the cost of the glass will put the project on hold... I found 40 gallon breeders online for 70,00 plus shipping as well.

Cheers, Bill
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)
try craiglist or looking for local hobbist taking down their fishroom... I have gotten 2 tanks for $1 per gallon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode