Heyco Cord Grip Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Heyco Cord Grip Question

I ordered 4 samples but received only 1.

Do they ship them one at a time or something?

Of course, I am not complaining too much since my new job is with the post office and things like this pay my salary!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
They'll only ship out what is available...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
They'll only ship out what is available...
So do I have to order again or will the rest come when available (or worse yet, have to pay for them)?

Jim

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Children Boogie

They might send you the missing item when it's available but it only happened to me once.. I ordered 5 different times.

And I don't think you can pay for it if you wanted to. They deal with distributors only, I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
They deal with distributors only, I think.

That's what I meant by 'paying for'.

I have two choices: 1. Mouser.com 2. A distributor in Columbus.

Jim
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolinger View Post
(or worse yet, have to pay for them)?
Oh yea, imagine getting something and actually having to pay for it. Perish the thought.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
I ordered 4 hole plugs from Heyco months ago. I only got 2, but that turned out to be enough for me. I still can't find these plugs for sale anywhere.
Try ordering again.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT View Post
Oh yea, imagine getting something and actually having to pay for it. Perish the thought.
What's wrong with getting something for free if you can?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflng View Post
I ordered 4 hole plugs from Heyco months ago. I only got 2, but that turned out to be enough for me. I still can't find these plugs for sale anywhere.
Try ordering again.
These are not hole plugs, but water tight cord grips. They can be used to make DIY inline heaters, pH probes, etc. Their model M8437 and M8438 fit into a 1 inch NPT threaded hole and accept a typical size aquarium heater.

Do a search on this forum for inline heater or Heyco. Heyco claims you can order as many samples as you want, but I guess you wont necessarily get all of them.

www.mouser.com is a distributer.

Jim
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I looked them up. I think I'll try and order some too.
I just chimed in because the hole plugs I ordered were also a free sample from Heyco.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Children Boogie

Just curious, what Company name did you give yourselves when you ordered?

I think I chose, 'Fried Noodles' last time.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just curious, what Company name did you give yourselves when you ordered?

I think I chose, 'Fried Noodles' last time.
I used 'None'. Maybe I'll use something different if I try it again.

All I need is a total of 2, if you take a look at my other post "DIY Dual Inline Heater". I wanted more in case I screwed something up.

IMHO I don't see how Heyco can keep this up for very long (giving away free samples like this)!

Jim
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolinger View Post
What's wrong with getting something for free if you can?
* Well, if you had just ordered them from Mouser, you would have gotten exactly what you wanted in 3 or 4 days, and not had the uncertainty and hassle of the "sample lottery" that you have now. Is it worth it?

* They're called "samples" for a reason. Heyco is not giving out "free cordgrips", they are supplying "evaluation samples". These are intended for design engineers to try out the component, see if it meets their needs, and is suitable to design into a product. Their intent is not "free stuff for DIY'rs". To me, requesting a sample with no intention of evaluating it for a larger order is a little unethical.

* Widespread "sample abuse" by DIY'rs may compell a supplier to close the "sample loophole". This will make it more difficult for design engineers with legitimate sample requests to do their jobs. To be honest, I'm surprised Heyco hasn't done it already.

* Lastly, remember that, by requesting evaluation samples, you've established a "business releationship" with Heyco. Legally, they are free to make sales calls to you, whether or not you are on the Do Not Call list. You've implicitly told them there is a chance you'll place a larger order from them. In that case, you could very likely start being pestered by the commissioned sales representative for your territory, as to how you liked the samples, when is the big production order gonna be placed, are their any other parts you might need, etc. To me, this is the biggest downside to requesting evaluation samples.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
requesting a sample with no intention of evaluating it for a larger order is a little unethical.
This may be true to some extent, but I think companies like Heyco are aware not all their samples are received by prospective bulk ordering clients.

I contacted Heyco hoping they could direct me to a public vendor to buy one of their products. The representative I spoke with told me fill out a sample request. He knew I only wanted a small order and had no intentions of ordering more.

I can only assume they take account for losses of this nature, and it's likely negligible. I doubt the infrequent consumer freebie will greatly affect their company's bankroll.

Of course, it is an honor/honesty service that should be taken into consideration. Abuse could change things. It probably only works because not everybody is aware of services like these.

Thanks for referencing Mouser BTW. I wish I knew about that site a long time ago.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Children Boogie

Quote:
* Well, if you had just ordered them from Mouser, you would have gotten exactly what you wanted in 3 or 4 days, and not had the uncertainty and hassle of the "sample lottery" that you have now. Is it worth it?

* They're called "samples" for a reason. Heyco is not giving out "free cordgrips", they are supplying "evaluation samples". These are intended for design engineers to try out the component, see if it meets their needs, and is suitable to design into a product. Their intent is not "free stuff for DIY'rs". To me, requesting a sample with no intention of evaluating it for a larger order is a little unethical.

* Widespread "sample abuse" by DIY'rs may compell a supplier to close the "sample loophole". This will make it more difficult for design engineers with legitimate sample requests to do their jobs. To be honest, I'm surprised Heyco hasn't done it already.

* Lastly, remember that, by requesting evaluation samples, you've established a "business releationship" with Heyco. Legally, they are free to make sales calls to you, whether or not you are on the Do Not Call list. You've implicitly told them there is a chance you'll place a larger order from them. In that case, you could very likely start being pestered by the commissioned sales representative for your territory, as to how you liked the samples, when is the big production order gonna be placed, are their any other parts you might need, etc. To me, this is the biggest downside to requesting evaluation samples.
good points.

I wanted to buy heyco's products but I couldn't find it anywhere... I'll check out mouser for now on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode