Flat background help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Flat background help?

So I would like to make my own background to stick on the back (outside) of my aquarium. I've yet to see any premade ones I like and definitely have no interest in flat black, blue, or white ones.

I will not paint straight on the back of the tank and want something with a little more depth than a solid color. My tank is designed to look natural and a bit like a river, so I would like something that looks like murky green/brown river water with light filtering through. [ Examples from google: X X X ]

So, given that I am a bit of an artist, I figured I should be able to make my own. I am both a capable painter and digital artist, so I could either paint something or have something printed. But I'm not sure how to make sure it's waterproof and won't be ruined when I inevitably get it wet. Any suggestions?

Huge fan and collector of Asian catfish (particularly Bagrids).
My Display Tanks: 150g (+sump) planted tank, 60g (+sump) Sumatra blackwater tank, 30g Borneo blackwater tank, 55g hillstream tank, 30g H planted tank
In progress: 55g planted native tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
You could print it on paper and get it laminated but it will probably have a rippled and gloss look. You could also get it printed on plastic sheets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 GAL DISCUS

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
laminating paper - I use a marble blue like pattern on the back of my 55's, or you can get fabric and attach it to the back - fleece does not absorb water.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have it printed at a company that makes banners for outdoor use, signs and similar things.
Some ways to find a company that does this:
Look up
Signs
Banners
Blue Prints
Reprographics
CAD printing
Wide format printing.

Call and ask if they do this, what programs or file types they can handle, then go see some samples of their work.

I had a banner for SFBAAPS printed at a company that has done my landscape architecture printing for many years. They are very reasonably priced, and high quality work. The company used to be called BPS, and can still be found by googling that name. They are now ARC and I think they are nation wide. (quick google... Actually they are world wide)

I have also gotten landscape drawings printed at a company that used to be Graphic Reproductions, but is now ABC imaging. I know they also do other things besides simple CAD printing. They are a local company, though. (SF Bay Area)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode