Cerges reactor question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cerges reactor question

Anyone running a cerges? Do you get gas pockets forming at top of canister housing?
Mine does and the water drop noise is loud and annoying. It seems to be about 6in water drop. Mine is a 20in housing.
Any solution to get rid of noise? Other than that my reactor is working fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Mine also makes gurgling noises. It's been running for about a week now, and it does it every day. My drop checker turns yellow at about 4-5bps on a 60P. I attempted to add a small air stone to the end of the tubing to form smaller bubbles in the hopes they would dissolve faster. It may have helped slightly, with a few micro bubbles making it out of the reactor. I think the trick is to match the bps CO2 to the amount able to be dissolved. Try playing with your co2 rate and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefston View Post
Mine also makes gurgling noises. It's been running for about a week now, and it does it every day. My drop checker turns yellow at about 4-5bps on a 60P. I attempted to add a small air stone to the end of the tubing to form smaller bubbles in the hopes they would dissolve faster. It may have helped slightly, with a few micro bubbles making it out of the reactor. I think the trick is to match the bps CO2 to the amount able to be dissolved. Try playing with your co2 rate and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well if i play with bps rate, then I wouldn't get the optimal co2 level. I didn't realize this co2 reactor had a limit on what it can dissolve. It works fine if the bps were less, but mine is a 210g so the bubble rate is high.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That was the reason I got rid of my Cerges reactor. It just couldnt dissolve the CO2 I needed for my 50g tank.

Even Rex Grigg reactors suffer from this with a build up in gas by the end of the day. I've used both and thought the Cerges reactor was worse.

I'm much happier with an atomic diffuser tucked away in the corner of the tank even though everyone says they're less efficient.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
That was the reason I got rid of my Cerges reactor. It just couldnt dissolve the CO2 I needed for my 50g tank.

Even Rex Grigg reactors suffer from this with a build up in gas by the end of the day. I've used both and thought the Cerges reactor was worse.

I'm much happier with an atomic diffuser tucked away in the corner of the tank even though everyone says they're less efficient.
those just don't work for a 210gallon.......large bubbles will be coming out of that diffuser lol.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
There is no one 'standard' Cerges design so its tough to say what your problem could be. At best these seem to work well as a glorified bubble trap.

If you just have air accumulating in the top of the canister - drill a small hole in the top - insert an airline tubing and connect to a venturi on the incoming water line. This will pull the extra CO2 out and reinject it in the water allowing it to dissolve. Excess air bubble from the venturi will get trapped in the Cerges. You should see very fast consumption of CO2 and if the water flow is not too high then a bubble free tank.

Unfortunately the basic design on the Cerges described in TPT forums is lousy at dissolving CO2 since the design does not describe a way to increase surface area.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
have you tried adding few pot scrubbers inside the reactor? this will increase the dissolve rate of co2 and make the co2 dissolve better.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode