humidity for emerge growth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
humidity for emerge growth

i was wondering how could you raise the humidity in a 110g tank a little, i was walking thru the local Pet Store an saw a Humidity Air for reptile , it uses a air pump with airline tubing that enters the canister, the first inlet goes all the way to the bottom with a air stone , the canister is fill with water to about 2 inches from the top there is a sponge inside to keep moist an the outlet is short at the top of the lid and is connected to another air line which you put in the tank to let the air out, will i that if this could work with a 3 liter bottle with the same idea with an air stone at the bottom and squeeze a sponge inside to keep the air moist and the outlet i would put a air stone inside my tank , right now i am not having any luck with my emerge growth in my tank, my plants still dry up , i do spray them with water and my SMS substrate is keep moist , i had 6 54w ho's on for 10hr i drop down to 4 lights , i also added some CSMB+ for ferts to my substrate. would you thing this DIY would be worth giving a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:36 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
putting in a container of water somwhere (not on top of plants!) with an airstone will help. Mainly keeping the top sealed better is the way. try somthing like a tupperware of water full of water with an airstone in it also though. The more water and surface movment the better.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks neilfishguy , sould i go a head a and use all 6 t5 ho and run the air stone in the water when the lights come on

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Recently there was a guy in Mexico that posted his outdoor emersed setup. He uses an Exo Terra fogger and a water pump that sends a drizzle of water down the glass. It was really quite well thought out, I want to try it myself:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...tup-56k-w.html

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks indiboi , i had read his set up and it was nice and if its a bare tank too , i already have about 80 pounds of SMS that i keep moist in my tank , i also thought about the use of the Terra Fogger to keep the plants moist. i would need to put a bowl of water in my tank that is another good idea thanks
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The cheapest way to go is to just get a clean spray bottle & mist the tank daily, like you do for tree frogs.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:39 PM

he says he allready does spray. If I were him I would get a glass top. I dont know if it is possible to do it without one and start spraying more often.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
thanks neilfishguy , sould i go a head a and use all 6 t5 ho and run the air stone in the water when the lights come on
I would go to four untill you get the problem taken care of, and run the airstone 24/7. You really need a glass top if you dont have one.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i do have a glass top on my tank with the hinge and back cover and my lights are on my canopy i just can't get the humidity up to keep the plants moist they are drying up , i also thought of a fogger to put in tank to keep every thing moist , but i am going to try the air stone in the water for awhile an see what happens thanks
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i had added a container of water an put a air stone in an it has been on 24/7 past 3 days , i do see water on the front and side glass but i do not see any on the top glass or on the plants , my gravel still has water, what else can i do to add more humidity to my tank to get the plants moist so that they don't dry up , my lights are on for 10hr. i also been looking at the Eco Fogger
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

A good top cover goes a long way.

From personal experience, when I didn't have good cover, even when I misted frequently, the warm moist air just exits the tank. Really beginner science--warm air rises.

From what I know watching renovation shows on TV, anywhere w/ warm air and cool air = moisture --> humidity. So keep the warm air trapped inside the tank with a very tight top cover will generate a lot of humidity since it can't escape through the top.

Saran wrap works great, nicely fitted glass cover will work too like the setup of the guy from Mexico.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so i need all my 6 t5 ho's to kick up the heat and saran wrap my glass top too ??? so this would work great also if i add Eco terra fogger to come on 3 times a day for an hour to keep everything moist should work great, but i will stay with my jug of water and air stone first to see how that does
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi inklinger, I'm the guy from Mexico City, lol.

From my experience I can tell you the Exo Terra Fogger works like a charm and it's almost maintenance free, I only brush the sensor and rinse it in a weekly basis. I have it working in a 1 hour on and 1 hour off lapses through a timer from 9:00 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The glass top works nice as well.

Hope this helps.

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hey Guillermo , does the fogger keeps every thing moist in the tank , my glass top came with my oceanic 110g tank . i do get the front and side glass moist with water but i don't think is enough my plants sill dry up, i just want to try to get the plants to grow first before flooding the tank
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, the fogger keeps the plants moisted all the time. You can try different periods of time with a timer depending on your needs, maybe just during the photoperiod.

I don't know the price of the device in the U.S.A. but here it costs 35 dollars, I have no regrets so far, it has been working for 7 months without a problem.

Hope this helps.

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode