diy Co2 how much is too much... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
diy Co2 how much is too much...

I have a 55gal planted tank, it gets denser every week. I started off with 2 2liter bottles of yeast mix, I have since added 2 more they are all staggered 1 week apart. I know the co2 is in the water. right now im dosing PMDD until I get my dry ferts in the mail for dosing EI and even after that until I get some more light right now im at 1.45wpg (4ft shop light with t12 bulbs) my plants bubble, I need to get a drop checker, but I was wondering really, how many bottles of yeast mix would I need to keep a steady 30ppm of co2 in 55gallons, I have no surface agitation other than the ocassional guppy or molly that splashes around. all the fish at this point are doing thier thing. not gasping or acting lathargic, I was thinking about adding 2 more bottles over the next 2 weeks, I know at 6 bottles pressurized would pay for itself over time, but right now money is a bit tight too many bills so I cannot afford pressurized until later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
You cant really overdose CO2 with DIY setup. They might get strong at initial, but soon get weak later.

Most people would not recommend a DIY route in a 55g due to its inconsistence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
stagius, I understand that most would not use DIY on a 55gallon, especially since I kinda fall in the low - medium low light area with 1.45wpg, however like I said I will eventually be upgrading to pressurized in the next month or 3, and right now 4 bottles staggered at 1 week intervals (the first bottle is 4 weeks old now) and im still getting about 1 bubble per second. I made up 2 more caps to upgrade to 6 bottles but I really dont want to overdose the tank to the fauna already there. However at 6 bottles, if I added one when I change out the 4week old bottle I would then have 2 bottles that need changed at the same time, and then the following week I would have 2 more bottles that get the same change... maybe I should go with 8 bottles so that all bottles are paired and would sorta even out the incosistancies, I read someplace about a guy that used 12 bottles on his 55gallon, I dont think I will ever let it get that bad. Maybe I should just move my diy to my 20gallon tank, but I dont have any equiptment for that tank. just a hob filter and nothing else.

I might just keep the 4 bottles going until I get the pressurized and some lights for the 20gallon since they are in the same room rather close to each other (the 20 and the 55) I could run them both off pressurized at a later time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode