Diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy co2

Alright so I set up my CO2 bottle with a tsp of yeast, 2 cups of sugar, and warm water, and it's pumping out CO2 pretty good. It won't, however; push air out of the plastic/foam air stone I have, so I just shoved the tube to the bottom of my Aquaclear 30. Though to be honest I think it was already used cause I had to blow until my face was nearly purple to get air to start coming out, obviously not a good air stone LOL. The bubble ares slowly coming out of the spillway, and circulating in the current and I can physically see them getting very tiny, and some of them pop, the rest float out into the tank. Naturally, I assume this is a very poor method of diffusing. AKA won't it kill the bacteria in my filter?

What kind of methods are good for a cheap temporary diffusion method. This will only be running until I order my shrimps, and at that point it will be gone. Should I pick up a ceramic diffuser? Do wood airstones work well enough? Or is the tube shoved in my filter an OK temporary method? I'm worried it's going to kill the BB...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
Alright so I set up my CO2 bottle with a tsp of yeast, 2 cups of sugar, and warm water, and it's pumping out CO2 pretty good. It won't, however; push air out of the plastic/foam air stone I have, so I just shoved the tube to the bottom of my Aquaclear 30. Though to be honest I think it was already used cause I had to blow until my face was nearly purple to get air to start coming out, obviously not a good air stone LOL. The bubble ares slowly coming out of the spillway, and circulating in the current and I can physically see them getting very tiny, and some of them pop, the rest float out into the tank. Naturally, I assume this is a very poor method of diffusing. AKA won't it kill the bacteria in my filter?

What kind of methods are good for a cheap temporary diffusion method. This will only be running until I order my shrimps, and at that point it will be gone. Should I pick up a ceramic diffuser? Do wood airstones work well enough? Or is the tube shoved in my filter an OK temporary method? I'm worried it's going to kill the BB...
CO2 kills BB because it acidifies the water.. So it is a bit less of where the CO2 is put but more so how much.. The pH thing seems a bit arguable since I'm not certain all species of bacteria have been id'd nor there requirements..

Use a chopstick end...........
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thre...co2-yeast.748/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode