DIY pop bottle CO2 needle valve... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY pop bottle CO2 needle valve...

Hi all, I have a diy co2 system that works great, but I just want to regulate my CO2 injection so that my algae doesnt get any advantages. I have read that using a needle valve on a pop bottle CO2 system is bad because all the back pressure could cause explosions...so how about this...I run my airline through the needle valve and into the tank, BUT somewhere in the airline just after the bottle I run it through a "T" connector, and have a series of maybe 3 or 4 connected check valves to act like a blow off valve.

If this just sounds dumb, does anyone know of a better way to manage my CO2 injection? I currently just use one of those cheap twist valves from petsmart...but I have to adjust it all the time...would the needle valge itself regulate the flow, or just limit it...

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
2xAC30 + AC MINI (it's Hagen; close enough!)
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)
The only safe way I know of is to use a smaller bottle. I'm running 4 bottles into my tank to try and get 30ppm. Wish I could afford to get a CO2 system but just spent my extra money on 260w of light.
Jeremy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have 2x2litres going, they are staggered by a week...so every sunday when I do my tank maintenance I change one co2 bottle...so they each get 2 weeks before I chuck em...I get tonns of CO2 but I just want a steadier flow...as it is I get way steadier than with one bottle, would 4 bottles make it steadier still? what is your schedule for changing the yeast?

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9am53 View Post
Hi all, I have a diy co2 system that works great, but I just want to regulate my CO2 injection so that my algae doesnt get any advantages. I have read that using a needle valve on a pop bottle CO2 system is bad because all the back pressure could cause explosions...so how about this...I run my airline through the needle valve and into the tank, BUT somewhere in the airline just after the bottle I run it through a "T" connector, and have a series of maybe 3 or 4 connected check valves to act like a blow off valve.

If this just sounds dumb, does anyone know of a better way to manage my CO2 injection? I currently just use one of those cheap twist valves from petsmart...but I have to adjust it all the time...would the needle valge itself regulate the flow, or just limit it...
I think that's a very good idea, in fact. I've thought about doing the same thing myself. You'll just have to find check valves with the appropriate cracking pressure. I believe if you have them in series that the pressures will add. I'd shoot for something like 30 psi. Soda bottles can hold a lot more than that, but I'm not sure that airline tubing and connectors can.

Needle valves are flow regulators, not pressure regulators. The flow through a given orifice is dependent on the pressure differential across the orifice. That means that if you can keep the pressure on the bottle side stable then a needle valve should provide you with stable flow. However, if the pressure on the bottle side drops off, then your flow would drop off as well. That's the brilliance of using the check valves as an overpressure limiter - they'd keep the bottles at a constant pressure. You'd waste CO2 though.

Me? I went pressurized.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I am not a fan of multiple bottles. I believe in going BIG. IMO just use a larger bottle

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am running my CO2 into the intake of my AC30 filter, and I was getting ridiculous numbers for my CO2 ppm, so I started choking it off...but the el cheapo pet store valves are really crappy...I just figured if I basically overclock my CO2 system, and keep blowing off CO2 Ill have a steady albeit high flow of CO2 going into the tank. Hopefully a steadier flow will help with my bba...btw, would the suggestion about more bottles that are smaller be good? I could do 3x1 litres and have them on a similar schedule, just have them on a 3 weeks each rotaion...that would keep it at one bottle strong, one steady, and one petered out at all times...as it is, I have one strong, and one bottle weak at all times...i figure with more bottles it would keep the pressure close enough to average at all times...

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFarmer271 View Post
The only safe way I know of is to use a smaller bottle. I'm running 4 bottles into my tank to try and get 30ppm. Wish I could afford to get a CO2 system but just spent my extra money on 260w of light.
Jeremy
I was the same way. Shop around and buy some lighting parts used. I made an oak fixture with 4 65 watt compacts for a little over $100 including the light bulbs...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9am53 View Post

See my thread on the subject - it's working great for me.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...rized-diy.html

Regards,
Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode