DIY Fluval Canister Tubing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question DIY Fluval Canister Tubing

I had some issues with getting knife-happy with my Fluval hose, and so I went to get replacement tubing. The local Petco didn't have it, and recommended Home Depot. So, that's where I went. I bought this tubing thinking it would work perfectly, but it keeps kinking. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You bought the wrong tubing, thats what you did wrong. You can generally tell if it's gonna kink or not before you even use it. Should have got something with thicker walls. If you can avoid puting bends in the tube, obviously that would prevent it from kining.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Lows/HD should sell the reinforced tubing (has fibers woven inside) that would probably not kink on you if you can get the right size. Otherwise you'd have to order tubing from an online vender, like big als or fosters & smith...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
As kasslloyd said, try the reinforced tubing. I'm using it from my 404 to the CO2 reactor and it works well. It's 5/8" ID Braided PVC and I picked it up at Lowes. Of course if you try to make too sharp of a bend it will kink also, so keep that in mind. If that doesn't work or you can't find it you can always order more fluval tubing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your answers. I knew something was wrong, but I wasn't sure what, as the guy at Lowes said he had a tank and used the same tubing.

And to RoyalFizbin: Thanks for your rudeness. That really makes a newbie feel welcome! /sarcasm.

Everyone else, your kindness in your answers is greatly appreciated. I'm here to learn. I've never done the canister filter thing before, and I was really worried when I started finding kinks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You asked what you did wrong and i told you you needed better tubing. Sounds like good advice to me. I don't know how you construe it as being rude. It was straight forward and direct.

Anyway, since you already bought the crappy tube, i think there may be a chance that you can get it to work. Soak it in very hot water to soften it up and then lay it out on the ground in the shape that you need it. When it cools down, it might take the shape better. Filling it with sand will help prenvent it from kinking while doing this but probably not nessesary. If you boil the tubing it will probably shrink. Just keep this in mind.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't the only one who thought it was rude, RoyalFizbin. I got several PMs to the same effect.

Moving on.

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. Last night, I bought reinforced tubing. It was darned expensive stuff, but it works very well! No kinks, and water pressure is way up! Thanks so much for all your help. I don't know what I'd have done without you guys. (Well, I'd probably be at home worrying over kinked tubing for another few days... :P)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:26 PM

For the future, consider this. I've found that the non-reinforced tubing kinks easily if it was stored in a tight roll at the hardware store. If it had a gentle curve to it, then it's much less prone to kink. I think the tightly-wound precut 10' rolls are always going to kink on you, but if you can buy your tubing by the foot off of one of the giant spools, you might be able to avoid this and get some straighter tubing. However, you have to hope that your local Lowes or Home Depot has a nearly full roll of vinyl hose. The hose from the inside of those spools will kink just as badly as the precut rolls.

As for the unkind words in this thread, don't mind it. Most people on this board are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable as I'm sure you've noticed by now. You can't allow a minority of people to spoil your fun, can you?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I think its funny that the guy who was universally decried as rude also gave the best advice for working with what the OP had.

Boiling water helps soften the tube and will help get the kinks outin soft vinyl. Swylie's advice about getting the tube from big rolls also works as well (just bought similar tubing for my wife's reef setup and it came on a big spool that the local hardware guy had to cut) and no kinks whatsoever.

-Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
Here's a helpfull link... Hope it helps!~
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamanx View Post
That's great, thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I get kinks in my tubing sometimes, and I have actual Eheim tubing. Just try to avoid putting too much strain in the tubing when it comes to bends.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode