Simple CO2 Reactor/ Inline Heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Simple CO2 Reactor/ Inline Heater

I've seen several posts floating around that had heaters incorporated to their DIY CO2 reactors. Most of them involve t's, wyes, siliconing drilled out holes (). I built a Rex reactor and made one simple change to add a heater with the Heyco watertight grip. Here's an exploded view of the reactor.

The only change I made was replacing the end cap that Rex uses with a threaded cap that fits the Heyco part.

Nothing too radical here, it works fine and is very cost efficient, PVC cost me about 8 bucks and a ten minute trip to the Lowe's (The Home Depot didn't have the parts I needed).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i was going to do it the same way as you did. But someone have mentioned that air/Co2 might get trapped above that T connector which can cause the heater to become faulty or sometimes break. I could be wrong though, let us hear how it goes on yours...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

Why not put the heater in upside down so the T is at the bottom? If thats not what your planning to do already. Just make sure your flow is coming from the top .

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bone View Post
Why not put the heater in upside down so the T is at the bottom? If thats not what your planning to do already. Just make sure your flow is coming from the top .
That's the idea Heater in bottom, and air pocket at the top.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
What brand heater did you use or does it not matter?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpt84 View Post
What brand heater did you use or does it not matter?
Just get the appropriate cord grip fitting for the heater, but the standard one most use will accomodate a broad range of heaters.

Nice job on the DIY.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 PM

I have had 2 of these built for some time now. One has been running on my 11G tank with an Eheim 2213 for a few months, the other is built for my 65G with an Eheim 2028 but I have been too busy (or lazy) to set this one up. I am using Jager heaters, upside down. I think it was a 1" cordgrip. Temperature control and CO2 levels are both great.

The only problem was for the first few days my temp would fluctuate quite alot. It would shoot up to 90 then drop to 70 and continue rapidly changing. However, after a few days this stopped and temp is now spot on.

One thing that is good to have with this is quick disconnects before and after the reactor, just in case the heater needs to be replaced.

Andrew
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Just get the appropriate cord grip fitting for the heater, but the standard one most use will accomodate a broad range of heaters.

Nice job on the DIY.
Thanks. I'm using a 1" cord grip I do believe, and it fits the Eheim Jager heater that I have.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Where exactly would one get the Heyco watertight grip. i also remember reading you can get them for free but how would you go about doing that?

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Most hardware stores should have them in either electrical or plumbing. I bought from mine Home Depot.

Andrew
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Planted Member

Please let me know how your project turns out. I plan doing something similar.

FILSTAR Pimp #24!!! (XP3)

75g Planted, 10lb CO2, 2x65Watt PC, 2x40Watt OD Fl,
20lbs eco, 70lbs SMS Charcaol, dose w/PMDD,
ph 6.4, temp 84 degF, hardness 50-80ppm, Alk 40, NO3=5ppm, NO2/NH3-N = 0,
4-Amazon Swds, 10 Ammania gracilis, 1-Red Tiger Lotus, Red Cabomba, Rotala wallichii, Glosso, Javamoss, & Misc
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Where exactly would one get the Heyco watertight grip. i also remember reading you can get them for free but how would you go about doing that?
You could do a search for "Heyco" as the title here at this site, and find the answer.

Or I could do it for you:

"Heyco Product #8437 (Watertight Cordgrip) (Can be order FREE at http://ecommerce.heyco.com/dev/newsa...ample?OpenForm )"

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesstray View Post
Please let me know how your project turns out. I plan doing something similar.
Was this directed towards me? If so, it works fine, and it worked for awbowden, who was already using this idea before me.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM

what size cordgrip did you use? and which one?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here's a link to get one.

I think it's a 1" diameter cordgrip, but I can't remember.

It's part number 8437. It fits the Eheim Ebo Jager heaters. Your mileage may vary by brand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode