thats the cheapest co2 manifold around? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
thats the cheapest co2 manifold around?

I just set up another pressurized co2 system using DIY parts (beer keg regulator $25, used 10 lb Co2 tank $20, clippard needle valve- after shipping $30) now I just need something like a 4-6 way manifold and I was wondering if any DIYers out there know a cost efficient way to put together a 4-6 way co2 manifold without paying over $200. I found 6 way Beer keg manifolds for about $25 but after purchasing 6 needle valves and bubble counters it will probably run me just as much to buy a professionally made one from an online retailer. Is there anyone that might know an alternative or is this one of those pieces you kinda just have to bite the bullet on? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 01:34 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
As you've seen, it's not the manifold that's pricey, it's the needle valves, and there's no way around that. If you want a decent needle valve it's gonna cost money. Maybe Rex Grigg or Orlando can cut you a deal for a large order. I don't think there's anywhere out there that's significantly cheaper than either of those guys.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Aquacave has a 6 way manifold with 6 needle valves for 60$

http://www.aquacave.com/hexo-manifol...lves-1160.html

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
That Aquacave manifold is pretty cheap!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
That Aquacave manifold is pretty cheap!

Mike

Thanks Khandurian, So whats the downside of purchasing a cheap co2 manifold such as this one? Will it leak Co2 or something?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlvr123 View Post
Thanks Khandurian, So whats the downside of purchasing a cheap co2 manifold such as this one? Will it leak Co2 or something?
It shouldn't leak, and if it does, I'd return it straight away. My only concern with a unit so inexpensive is that the needle valves may be difficult to adjust. When you spend more money on better valves you get easier and possibly more stable adjustment, that's all. Maybe you could email those folks and ask them what model of valve they're using, then dig around and find out if that valve is crap or whether it's sufficient.

Here's something worth considering: you could use a "low pressure regulator" between the primary regulator and your manifold. If those inexpensive Aquacave valves are indeed crap, then a low pressure regulator would make them easier to adjust and more stable.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for your help guys you have been very informative : )
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I used the beer regulator that already had two outputs with two shutofs. Each of the two outputs goes to their own solenoid so I have two seperate on/off controls ($20ea) - so I can have a couple different timing cycles or put one on and controller without affecting the other, etc. On the solenoids I used another Y so I now have 4 lines. Each line as a clippard nv (like $10 ea). And I made DIY bubble counters. The Y's were a few bucks each and various fittings were a couple bucks and less, I dont remember specifically without looking at receipts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

Well if you can get your hands on a manual mill, I would just say make one, there not hard. As for parts (needle valves, etc...) spend some time on http://www.mcmaster.com/. They usually sell the cheapest hardware around and have a huge selection.

BB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode