Soldering wires to LED "stars" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soldering wires to LED "stars"

Can you use the hot air type rework guns?
Any issues..
I'm a bit tired of iron soldering.. and the heaters seem more "efficient"..

Could be wrong.. so your opinion counts........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I use the dc powered soldering iron from home depot and it works very well for me. What I do is melt some solder on the star first, then tin the wire and do just a quick touch on the star to solder them together. Check my video for refetence reference

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And "Like Us" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
That's the iron I am using http://m.homedepot.com/p/Weller-18-W...8MP/202077464/

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

And "Like Us" on Facebook

Thanks

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoq View Post
splitting hairs but that isn't the DC one....

anyways thanks, I'm still wondering if anyone uses reflow hot air though..

I know it is not the tool but the tool user... but honestly soldering for me has NEVER been as easy as you show it...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Stick with the conventional soldering iron. Using hot air would probably melt the solder holding the Led to the star before melting the solder needed to attach the wires. Not an outcome you'd be happy with.LOL

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
When you are soldering you heat the wire and let the wire melt the solder. Any other way and you have a cold joint which is weak and can cause problems down the road.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Stick with the conventional soldering iron. Using hot air would probably melt the solder holding the Led to the star before melting the solder needed to attach the wires. Not an outcome you'd be happy with.LOL
LOL I know, I've soldered a bunch of LED "eggs" to stars.. taught me to just to buy them attached already.. Besides the price dif was minimal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
When you are soldering you heat the wire and let the wire melt the solder. Any other way and you have a cold joint which is weak and can cause problems down the road.
Yea that happens once and awhile but I probably had more "oversolders" where it was shorting out to the star aluminum and of course the heatsink..

And then some of the short ends w/ stiff wire have a tendency to lift.. due to the strain of attaching/reattaching to the power cable side.. Partially due to cs sometimes..
I'm shifting to terminal blocks to avoid that ..

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-01-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Jeff the key is just the right amount of solder. Trick to it is to "tin" the wire and the place where you are soldering to whether another wire or a lug. I've soldered everything from PC boards to heavy wire and rarely had a cold solder joint.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Jeff the key is just the right amount of solder. Trick to it is to "tin" the wire and the place where you are soldering to whether another wire or a lug. I've soldered everything from PC boards to heavy wire and rarely had a cold solder joint.
My bigger problem is getting and maintaining an iron that I have decent control over.. Most of the time the tips go wonky (I do know this is my fault.. ) or just doesn't do what I want them to do.. Which is why I had the question of "hot air" soldering .. More to my liking based on track record...

Last pencil soldering iron I got I couldn't even tin the tip (cheap Chinese "stuff" and instantly "blackened") and ended up getting frustrated...

I've been eying those dual workstations on [Ebay Link Removed] Trying to justify it for soldering and shrink wrapping ect.. Unfortunately the "real" ones are expensive and I have no idea which cheap brand is better (or they are all the same)

Then there is the Weller analog soldering stations.. fair price.. but back to the pencil again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

A Weller won't give you problems though. Did you use a little sandpaper on the tip then rosin flux then tin? Usually works on the cheap stuff you like. (By cheap I mean expensive because you buy it for little money than spend hours trying to get it to work right. Time is money)

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
A Weller won't give you problems though. Did you use a little sandpaper on the tip then rosin flux then tin? Usually works on the cheap stuff you like.
I wrecked the tip.. so I'll eventually get it to work..

Quote:
Time is money
Not according to some people..
Anyways.. a related question is, since I was wee little I've used copper tips.. whats up w/ these steel coated copper ones??
Whos dumb idea was it..
Even used those big copper irons to do galv. steel tanks for the backyard.. using acid flux to remove the zinc. I don't remember
the exact acid.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Decided to go w/ a Hakko... I think..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode