Is this safe enough? (making a rimless tank out of a 57 gallon) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Is this safe enough? (making a rimless tank out of a 57 gallon)

hey guys.
So don't worry, I am not thinking of just pulling off the brace and expecting it to hold aha

First off, to waste no ones time, is there a calculator for the suggested glass thickness for a rimless tank size? I have only found one, but includes using a frame in the calculation.

So the tank is a 57 gallon (30"x 18"x 25"). the glass is 1/4". I was thinking of taking it apart, and cutting down on the height, but keeping the base footprint, to either 12" or 16" preferably. But those are just ideas, but what would be a safer height to make the tank? What would be the max you would suggest?

Thanks guys

Pic is the tank
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
i wouldnt do it... its to tall unless you put a euro brace around it....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Even with the height cut down to 16" or less?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The calculator I found says you need 8 mm glass, which is about 5/16" thick. If you lower the height to 17.5 inches, you need 6 mm glass, which is about 1/4". http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

Hoppy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
i still say add a euro brace just to be safe... i rather be safe then having 30+ gallons of water on the floor, question is... is it worth it? i rather have 1 less thing to worry about...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc1988 View Post
i still say add a euro brace just to be safe... i rather be safe then having 30+ gallons of water on the floor, question is... is it worth it? i rather have 1 less thing to worry about...
The OP's question was about what the minimum glass thickness would be, not whether it would be a good idea to do this. I don't think it is ever a good idea to build your own tank, unless it is a nano-tank. As you said, the risk is too great for me to even consider. A euro-brace would certainly reduce the risk.

Hoppy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for your input guys yeah it was just a thought, I was selling the tank, but just wanted to make sure if I could use it or not for a display. I just didnt like how it is so tall. about the eurobracing, does it have to be wide? I wouldnt mine adding some if only I were able to add my violet pipes. And also Hoppy, I see your from around my area ish, do you know of any glass cutters around?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
If it doesn't have a brace from the factory it doesn't need the trim. The trim is just there to hide less than perfect craftsmanship, not to keep the tank together.

I would leave the bottom frame on. Since its a floating bottom (sides around bottom panel) you will need the bottom frame to support the tank. I have pulled the top trim off several tanks and while not quite as clean looking as a fully rimless tank its still very nice looking and you don't have to rebuild the whole tank and risk breaking a panel in the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-28-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

would there be a way to cut it shorter still while keeping the tank together? cause 25" is too much for me aha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
You would be very hard pressed to trim it down without a complete disassemble

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfishy View Post
thanks for your input guys yeah it was just a thought, I was selling the tank, but just wanted to make sure if I could use it or not for a display. I just didnt like how it is so tall. about the eurobracing, does it have to be wide? I wouldnt mine adding some if only I were able to add my violet pipes. And also Hoppy, I see your from around my area ish, do you know of any glass cutters around?
No, I don't know any glass cutters in your area. The only glass cutting place I have used in my area couldn't maintain the dimensional tolerances needed to make a tank. Most glass cutters work to about +/- 1/16", not good enough, and if you need the closer tolerance they grind the edges, adding a lot to the cost.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode