Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...back-tank.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ould-know.html

Hope these help. You can perform a search by clicking the "search" button in the blue bar, then click advanced search, then search by titles only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i used black latex paint. Took quite a few coats, but worked for me and can be easily scraped off if i change my mind about it in the future.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I had extremely good results using a foam mini roller and Rustoleum black oil-based enamel. I just bought a 3 pack of rollers and tossed each one after that coat. It's so durable that I don't think I could scratch it off if I tried (without razer blades and such). I tried acrylic first and it just bubbled and peeled off, so that's definitely not recommended (I just happened to have the black acrylic enamel already, so it seemed like a good choice at the time).

All that masking off and such for spray painting really looks like a chore to me.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I just did this same project 3 days ago. I used the same product mentioned by indiboi above, Rustoleum black oil-based enamel. I got a small can of flat black (1/2 a liter?) for 3.70 at Home Depot. I did 4 coats on the back of my 55G and I still had half a can left. I used a brush to apply mine. I was impatient so instead of waiting for the coats to air dry, I used a hair dryer on the cool setting. It made the paint dry much faster.

Might want to cover up your tank with a towel or something to prevent anything from getting inside.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I bought the cheapest black spray paint walmart sells. I think it was .98 a can. I did my 180, 29 and corner tank all with 4 coats and 5 cans. Work wonderfully and cost next to nothing. I prefer a mat black, dont care for the glossy look.

Be sure to clean the glass very well with cleaner and then I used a razor blade to make sure there was nothing stuck to the glass. Similar prep to applying auto tint. If there is anything on the glass it will be more than obvious once it is painted.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why would it matter if the outside back of the aquarium was glossy or matte? No matter the choice the inside will be glossy, since it's glass...

Benefits to doing it the roller or brush method is that it can be done inside, so time of year isn't relevant, and in the case of a large aquarium moving it in and out isn't such an easy task. The whole overspray situation is non-existent too.

Of course, to each their own, both methods certainly appear to work just fine. Definitely better than trying to get some sort of plastic background to stay stuck, getting out the bubbles... the lengths people go to for those things sometimes is surprising. Yay for paint!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiboi View Post
Why would it matter if the outside back of the aquarium was glossy or matte? No matter the choice the inside will be glossy, since it's glass...
Believe it or not, it does make a difference. I have done it both ways.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Actually that isnt true. You can see a difference very easily. I prefer the matte/flat as well.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Banned

HA! Pwned!

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very interesting, so the glass actually looks non-glossy, or is it that it's less reflective from the standpoint the flat paint isn't as reflective as glossy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
HA! Pwned!

That was completely unnecessary.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm sure there are plenty of people that would have thought as I did, explaining the difference would be more helpful.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Very interesting, so the glass actually looks non-glossy, or is it that it's less reflective from the standpoint the flat paint isn't as reflective as glossy?

That was completely unnecessary.
I was joking man... Sorry if you took it wrong...

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I can say this. When you don't use black, the color will be effected. I tried using the same flat blue used in my computer room for the back of the tank, and when looking through it, it just looked Aqua green. Probably due to the tint in the glass.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
I can say this. When you don't use black, the color will be effected. I tried using the same flat blue used in my computer room for the back of the tank, and when looking through it, it just looked Aqua green. Probably due to the tint in the glass.
Exactly, I went through the trouble of getting the perfect coat of blue...looked great while it was empty...

I have used spray paint on a 29, latex on my 215 & 75. It is a PITA to paint the latex on though, it'll take mutliple coats. For me no matter how thick I'd try to apply it, it would pull off on the back stroke...

FPC#127

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode