Certification of Aquarium stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Certification of Aquarium stand

Hi,

I need to get my stand certified so I can get a full warranty on my tank. Anyone know a cheap structural firm that will do this? All I need is the stand can hold the weight, don't need any analysis into earthquake and other natural disaster. Since the warranty doesn't cover natural disaster anyway.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good luck finding someone cheap. I'm not really aware of any kind of firm that would even take on something like this, best bet would be to try calling an architect out of the phone book and see if you could talk them into doing it. If they won't ask them if they know anybody who might.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:44 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Maybe contact a cabinet maker or a local manufacturer of stands. I just never knew any certifications regarding cabinets were available.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah the problem is no one want to spend their time doing this kind of certification for a resonable price ($100 - yeah right). They want $1300, and that is only the estimate. All I wanted to do is a certification that the stand will support the weight. Not during earth quake and other natural disaster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
Well for that much you might as well get there stand that will cover the warranty.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could ask a general contractor if they work with a registered Professional Engineer (PE), that might want to pick up a quick buck for a little bit of work. You need to get a PE to stamp your plans.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
How expensive is this tank anyway? Going through hoops and spending half the cost of the tank in order to get a warranty to replace just the tank is, well, silly if it's some sort of standard AGA or Perfecto deal.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh no I'm not spending $1300, no way!. Yeah I have couple general contractor friends, I'm going that route now to see if I can get a PE stamp. I could buy their stand, but I feel that their metal stand isn't as good as the wooden one I'm building, and hugely more expensive.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you are confident in your stands structure enough to get it certified then you should have same confidence in just setting it up and skipping this step I would think. Tanks dont fail because of a weak stand "weight wise", they fail because they are twisting from improper leveling of the stand itself and that is exactly what the company will normally tell you.

Its very rare that a tank will fail if properly leveled and supported.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode