In tank reactor-co2 build up? W/Pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
In tank reactor-co2 build up? W/Pics

Ok this is the reactor and It has a few items that are missing. A 10 inch piece of pvc with a cap on the end and tiny holes drilled like a spray bar from the bottom and a 90 degree piece of pvc hooked to my power head.

This is the second one I built that was made with silicon instead of hot glue and everything fits tighter. Anyways been running for a few hours and it's doing a fantastic job with about 3bps or so on my 40b. However it has a large build up of co2 which I don't know if I should be concerned about it or not? Is this common on most reactors like this? A lot of people use that white PVC and probably would never even know. I could find a way to lower volume and increase velocity into the bottle.

Also for other people that might be interested in doing something like this I added some course filter paper at the bottom with poly fill on that and it made a huge difference.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
this is due to high co2 injection and low mixture... it seems as if water is just flowing into the bottle and the co2 is not really mixing fast enough and thats why you get a co2 build up...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

But is there really any harm in it? I know I could/should try and make it more efficient but at the moment this is working I suppose.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

there is no harm but just make sure the co2 pocket doesnt reach out of the container or you lose that amount of co2... other then that there is no harm besides the fact that you are injecting to much and have a drop checker to show you where ur co2 level are at... just be in the safe zone and you will be fine
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just looked at it again and the bottle is starting to float lol. Going to remove some of the filter media and see if I can pick up some flow.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I really like your idea of the filter media at the bottom. How well does it work to keep out bubbles ? Are you getting any mist out or is it very clean?

..and yes its a good idea to reduce the CO2 injection rate- you want only a few bubbles to swirl and mix with the flow.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

what i would do is build a diy co2 inline reactor but if you are using it on a small tank you can just buy a good one that mix for you if you have a canister filter... its like 20-30$ shipped... same cost if you was to build one with pvc...

its called "ista max mix co2 reactor" look at youtube for videos and you can find it on ebay for cheap new too... i would go with the large as it holds co2 in better then the small one does
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm running two HOBs on a 40b so an inline reactor is not possible. I do plant to get a Eheim 2217 when I stop being so stingy, which may never happen.

The spray bar is tucked behind everything on top of the substrate. If any bubbles are getting out most likely they will get caught by some leaves. Hands down the best thing I have done yet. Been through a few ideas including Tom Barrs in tank reactor with the return tube thing.

Just removed all the fiber floss so it's just 3 layers of course media pad in the bottom. I'll report back to the end of the day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode