Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I want to build this

Click image for larger version

Name:	fish tank filter idea .jpg
Views:	292
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	291129

It would be a dual intake set up with a spray bar. I want to drill the holes in the spray bar in the front spraying at the front glass and every other hole facing down to the substrate. Im not sure if this is possible or even a good idea. Please tell me your thoughts and concerns or anything i should change in the design.

We only fail to learn a better way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
There are plenty of write ups on the spray bar. Many have holes facing many directions. Some have them going all over the place. My concern would be if you have taller stems, you really don't have a lot of room for adjustment if it's blowing things around, one thing to consider.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When you feed a long spray bar at one end only, it is difficult to get much flow out of the farthest away holes. You have to keep the total area of the holes less than the cross section area of the spray bar if you are to have a chance of getting flow out of those far away holes. But, that can lead to pretty strong flow from the holes, which may be a problem as Matt noted.

Hoppy

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Out flow should be in the middle...also no holes facing directly to your substrate or you will have a cloudy mess...aim them all forward and go for circular motion in your tank...or have it go down to your substrate then all the holes point up for circular flow that way

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You dont have to aim the holes at all. When you build it, dont glue the joint where the spray bar goes into the elbow. Then you can rotate the holes in the bar to any position you want and try many different angles.

When I built my spraybar, I had the output pipe enter at the center with two spray bars going to either side. The big benefit of this is it balances the gravitational forces on it. You dont have to worry about the far end continually drooping downward.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Interesting thread - has anyone ever tried to put the spray bar at the BOTTOM of the tank with jets pointing up to create a circular flow? I am thinking of adding one to my 24" high tank to create water flow that will reduce the rate of settling of debris allowing it to be captured and filtered.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezco View Post
Interesting thread - has anyone ever tried to put the spray bar at the BOTTOM of the tank with jets pointing up to create a circular flow? I am thinking of adding one to my 24" high tank to create water flow that will reduce the rate of settling of debris allowing it to be captured and filtered.

Yes, these is how jelly fish are kept in aquariums, if a jelly fish come in contact with the sides of the aquarium is will likely die.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool thanks for all the reply's. I have read tons of right ups on spray bars but none had the holes facing the way i was talking about. I also was considering the inlet of the spray bar in the middle of the bar. I am currently using the duck bill on an odyssey 500 canister filter. I also tried to find stuff on the dual intake but only found 2 threads on different sites and both were confusing to me and sounded like it couldn't be done. I really just want to create better circulation in the tank and minimize dead spots.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

The design you are proposing is similar to a dual over flow or dual outflow tank, more commonly used in salt water tanks, this forum used to have a sister site called Carolina Fish Talk and it was a very active salt water forum, perhaps more information can be found there. Most people don't use a system like that for freshwater.

If you had two return pumps I would suggest have one pump attached to each end of the spray bar this will help increase your flow output and help keep the water pressurized the entire length of the bar.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

could i add a T-intersection on the outlet to get the dual lines to both ends of the spray bar. should help with pressure issues or even flow.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
If you choose to do just one outlet you can keep the far end closed and just make the holes closest to the water outless slightly larger diameter. I did that with like the first 3 or 4 holes and it kept the pressure fairly even on all holes since it less water is building up on the capped end.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I want to build this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard28 View Post
could i add a T-intersection on the outlet to get the dual lines to both ends of the spray bar. should help with pressure issues or even flow.
You could, however using a t-joint or a 90 degree elbow will reduce the flow of the water by a lot, you are causing a bottle neck in your system because the water will have to slow down to a point it can make a 180 degree turn, it is more advisable to use 45 degree elbows if you are NOT trying to reduce flow.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

is the spray bar the way to go? as far as increased circulation and preventing dead spots, or should i just use a powerhead or two? The spray bar would be cheaper i think. I also really would like to eventually try the dual inlet on each end of the tank, I think it would be effective in increasing circulation.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I want to build this

Did you end up building your spray bar??

To answer a few questions you had above, yes a spray bar will help reduce dead spots and help increase flow, but I doubt it will be enough flow to keep the entire tank circulated. Depending on what size aquarium you have will determine if you need a power head or not. Right now on my 75 gallon I am running to large canister filters and a circulation pump. I bought some SunSun circulation pumps (wave makers) for my 180 gallon and they work amazingly. Much quieter than my Koralia, and a lot cheaper, I bought the one with dual outlets and two impellers per pump, think they are rated at like 1,800 GPH and were around $15 each so I was able to get both for less than one Koralia.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have almost the same set up in the picture but instead of one canister filter, i have two sun sun canister filters. One filter hooks up with co2 reactor and contains seachem purigen ( rated as 250 gph) the other one with bigger flow about 350 something i cant recall, hooks to intake heater and contain heavier medias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi its Nam =D

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode