DIY CO2 with C02 Cartridges??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 with C02 Cartridges???

Hello All,

I am a new member, but have been paying close attention to everyone's post about Co2 systems and DIY projects. I tried the sugar and yeast systems, but I am wondering if anyone has ever used CO2 cartridges for the planted aquarium. I used to play paintball and I know they have C02 tanks available and I am wondering if anyone knows how to implement this. Would it work? Will it be enough for what the plants need?

Name:  co2.gif
Views: 449
Size:  49 Bytes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Search up Paintball co2
or Paintball regulator

Yes it will be enough because its pure co2

One month in.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How long it last thought.....I am experimenting with a 10Gal...I also have a 9oz CO2 tank....lets say i find the regulator....how long will 9oz of CO2 last me???

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Algae Grower

about 500 shots?

I would GUESS at least 4 months if you are good at disolving the CO2, and not using at night. I have a 5lb(does that make 80oz?), on a 55, and I get 6 months.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Umm, I think a 9oz would last you around a month... Maybe less. If I were you, I'd get a bigger one, I think the standard ones are 24oz? Get one of those and it'll last you a lot longer
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=15526

Here you go, .

Thanks,
AndrewH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks andrew...this was exactly what i am looking for..but the price is very high....i was hoping for a DIY or something around $50.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneer View Post
thanks andrew...this was exactly what i am looking for..but the price is very high....i was hoping for a DIY or something around $50.
You can get a regulator at Lowes for $60. That's just a regulator, mind you. No needle valve, no bubble counter, no diffuser, etc. It was $60 when I bought it, it might vary from store to store.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
Here is what I found. I have a 2.5 gallon planted and was thinking about rigging up co2 for it. After calculating the cost of a small co2 setup, I decided it was stupid. Think about it. The cost to refill a 9 oz co2 tank at a sports store is like $5, right? I bought a 20lb co2 tank on ebay for about $75 and it costed me less than $15 to get it filled! Bigger co2 tanks have to get hydrotested every 5 years, unlike small paintball co2 tanks. However, even paying $20 every 5 years is still cheaper to just buy a bigger setup. The only reason I would personally pay all the extra money for a small co2 setup is so you can hide it out of sight. Just my 2 cents on the issue.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
I agree w/ born2lovefish. The only downside with the full rig is that if you have a leak, you get to spend an additional $17.50 (for me) instead of $5 to refill the tank, DOH!

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneer View Post
Your not going to be able to setup a pressurized setup for $50 unless you buy everything used for dirt cheap, and maybe get some free stuff too...

Many have said in the past that the only reason to use a piantball setup is for size limitations on a nano tank or something like that. If you have room enough to put in at least a 5# tank, usually thats the way to go.

~Tristan
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

This regulator may be of interest for those wanting to DIY a pressure system..

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch..._Code=co2units
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipm View Post
This regulator may be of interest for those wanting to DIY a pressure system..

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch..._Code=co2units
I'm not certain that's actually a regulator. Notice that nowhere do they claim it's a regulator. It might just be a valve, which would make it dangerous. They don't even specify what the threading is, although it implies it has paintball threads rather than CGA320 or whatever. AquaBotanic is/was selling something like this and made a halfhearted attempt at a recall. I would steer clear of this product.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
I'm not certain that's actually a regulator. Notice that nowhere do they claim it's a regulator. It might just be a valve, which would make it dangerous. They don't even specify what the threading is, although it implies it has paintball threads rather than CGA320 or whatever. AquaBotanic is/was selling something like this and made a halfhearted attempt at a recall. I would steer clear of this product.
Aquabotanic still sells it and it is a regulator for a paintball rig:

http://www.aquabotanicstore.com/CO2_...or_p/10174.htm

I have been considering this one for a nano setup, but I wanted to see about trying to rig it with a solenoid and decent needle valve.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
http://www.anythingxtreme.com/Pure-E...9209C1390.aspx

20oz bottle - $19.99

Thanks,
AndrewH

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode