Tobacco pipe = glass bubble counter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Tobacco pipe = glass bubble counter

Here's a BC I just made out of a glass tobacco bubbler from the gas station/paraphernalia emporium down the road, they sell various ones from around 4 to 10 bucks. A tad pricey compared to other DIY b/c's but looks better IMO.

This is what it looked like, glass vile, rubber stopper with two holes,

Removed the existing tubing and hardware from the stopper.

Cut CO2/In tubbing at an angle, dabbed with dish soap, and threaded it through a hole in the stopper about 6". Moved the tubing back and forth in the stopper under tap water until the seal tightened as the soap rinsed away, pulled back and trimmed tubing to target length, around 2.5" for this particular vile.

Obviously, the same process can be used for the CO2/Out tubing while trimming close to the bottom of the stopper, but I chose to plug in a standard tubing connector so the CO2/Out tubing can be easily pulled for quick disconnect. It's actually a connector from a Red Sea limewood diffuser that was laying around, the flanges on the end make a nice seal in the stopper.

Filled with water to submerse incoming CO2 line and corked with stopper. Make sure the rim of the vile and the stopper are completely dry or the stopper will not set a seal properly.

Connected Outgoing CO2 line, finished. Cranked the gas, soap tested, all systems go.

Over pressurized the system for approximately one minute, uncountable bps and super microbubble storm, no sign of the stopper loosening. I'll let you know if it pops.

Total build time, a few minutes.

Now I'm off to find/make a clip or clamp I can mount it with. It works well dangling but that annoys me when I'm trying to count. It sets down by itself but will get knocked over eventually, doesn't weight much at all.

Last edited by jaidexl; 09-23-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
...HAHAHAHAHAH!

Awesome.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's slick, but I thought "tobacco" paraphernalia was generally overpriced?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It is, but not so much at the "quicky mart". It's also a great place to get digital gram scales, I've seen them as low as $12, while a head shop or any other store will be asking $40-60 and up.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
Thats a good one I will have to look closer next time I stop in the "Quick Stop".

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I see a new genre of planted tanks coming soon

My friends always question the authenticity of this "duck weed" what next...

Very nice cheap effective idea though.

-Andrew
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
what the!?!?!?!

quicky mart? where!! I wish i knew one for those gram scales. crap, so hard to find one without shipping it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Funny here I was picturing a corn cob pipe, or big ol' ivory Sherlock Holmes one.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
Funny here I was picturing a corn cob pipe, or big ol' ivory Sherlock Holmes one.

I thought the same thing when I first saw the title.

Great idea you got there. Will have to stop into my local convenience store and see if they have anything there. Always a good idea to have more than one bubble counter laying around.

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I liked this idea because I knew it would only take a few minutes to rig up and I probably wouldn't have to glue or seal anything up, as long as the stopper holds, still good so far at 2bps for 6hrs today. The stopper holes are a lot smaller than the tubing, so that's good.

You could probably incorporate the existing metal down tube, but I didn't want to compromise the seal by butting metal and polyurethane together inside the stopper. I guess I like seeing how fast the gas moves up and down the end of the tubing while I'm playing with the needle valve.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Yeah, I liked this idea because I knew it would only take a few minutes to rig up and I probably wouldn't have to glue or seal anything up, as long as the stopper holds, still good so far at 2bps for 6hrs today. The stopper holes are a lot smaller than the tubing, so that's good.
Rubber stoppers are traditional because they work. I can't imagine you having any problems with this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The only issue I had was stopping it wet, and I think there was still some soap residue coming from my hand or somewhere, the stopper would slowly squeeze back out. Once I had everything dry, it was like stuffing a car tire into a mail box.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I updated the build post with some extra info I just remembered, might be important to someone who tries this....

"I chose to plug in a standard tubing connector so the CO2/Out tubing can be easily pulled for quick disconnect. It's actually a connector from a Red Sea limewood diffuser that was laying around, the flanges on the end make a nice seal in the stopper."

Last edited by jaidexl; 01-19-2008 at 04:47 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Algae Grower

I thought of something very similar a few months ago when setting up my DIY rig. The only source of parts I could think of was a place that sells lab equipment - we had all kinds of stuff like this in my college chemistry labs.

That was like thirty years ago, I guess I've been away from "the scene" for awhile. A paraphernalia shop never even occurred to me.

Feeling my age,
Mike
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Algae Grower

Tooooo funny

That will work nicely with the 3' watterpipe/reactor!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode