Silicone for braceless tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Silicone for braceless tank

Hi,

Anyone familiar with series 1200 construction grade silicone? Is it comparable to the GE RTV108 silicone posted in Scolley thread?

thanks.
Khoi,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nickboudin
Never heard of it. I like to stick with the 100% stuff.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm also curious. I was at home depot and above their acrylic section is some GE silicone sealant. I was going to purchase some but read the label and it said that it would only be good for marine application above the waterline. So, I didn't get it. I don't remember what it was called, but i know it was GE brand and it was silicone.

With a quick search, looks like that VT108 stuff is what you should use for custom aquariums.... definitely need to look into that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (19/100%)
Silicon approved for aquarium build, it is in the label even. (Couldn't find English data specs for it)

Or

Nuflex 333

This is a Australian brand, I think. And it is available in the states. Also has aquarium build in the label.

There is a second "big name" brand (Ego EGOSILICON 110)available in Germany for rimless tank builds but haven't seen it for sale in the states so far. Perennator or EGOSILICON are used for ADA tanks, I think.

BTW, if I recall from my research correctly, the GE silicon was stronger than any of the silicons above. But the GE silicon has not aquarium build (and safety) in the label for any practical matter.

I've used Perennator silicon for a couple builds and it works very good.

Cheers,
Jens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ive built and re-built enough fish tanks to honestly tell you that just because GE RTV108 doesn't say anything about being fish safe, doesn't mean that it's not. Just make sure that the thicker the bead that you use, the longer you wait before adding water. Once it's completely dry, it will be safe for any and all of your fish.

The SCS1200 that is mentioned in Scully's post is available to the consumer, however, getting it in small portions is difficult to achieve. I am currently in the process of re-building a 230 gallon tank that was left for dead on the side of the road, and I will be using the RTV108.

I know this doesn't answer your question. Just letting you know that you may not need that 1200 series silicone.

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
So many option, I'm just checking because my tank builder is using Series 1200 to build my tank.

According to this thread posted by steve (he talked to GE eng), it should work well in aquarium application.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/164734-post448.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode