The Planted Tank Forum banner

Derimming 75g

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  NanoDave 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm looking for advice on a good way to go about doing something different. I don't need sly remarks or people saying you can't de-rim a 75g tank as it can be AND has been done with less support an design than I plan to do. See here if you don't believe me:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131169&highlight=derimming

OK! Now that are the skeptics are gone!

Here's my situation. I recently acquired 2 5" painted turtles. Their old tank was rather narrow so their getting an upgrade to a 75g. I purchased some really nice wood cut it down as much as I could and screwed it all together with titanium screws. I knew before hand I wanted to make an "above tank" basking area and am very handy with wood and want to make a large hood to hide lights. I will extend the tanks "height" by having a few pieces of glass cut as "borders" if you will that will probably be about a foot tall to keep the turtles in as they will easily climb out with the way it is now.

Now the anoying part. That top front rim is right at viewing height where you would see the turtles! I really don't want to derim the whole tank nore really need to. I simply want to take out the piece blocking the view. Taking a chunk off seems kinda silly though and feel I might be better off taking the whole top rim off and euro bracing with one 4" piece or two 3" wide pieces or something. Here's a few pics to give you an idea of what I have now:

Here's a few quick sketch of what I'm thinking:

SOO with all that said! Do you think if I ran 2x2 notched out (to sit on corners) and secured around all 4 corners by horizontal 2x2's around the top border of the cover. Euro braced 2- 3" equal distant from each other and the edges it would hold fine? Are their other ways of doing this anyone can think of? Might I just be fine cutting out the top front trim and either side of the brace and leaving the brace?
I would love not to have any middle braces but see that might cause problems. I've heard of people putting triangles in the corners to help too? Anyone have any experience or seen something similar?

I'm looking for constructive thoughts on this as I know it's very possible. Just have to figure out how. Thanks for reading and your comments!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would lose the wood at the top. Looks very misplaced.

#3 ·
Kei: That wood at the top is the "dock" for the turtles to bask and is required. It looks awkard now as it's not filled but that top wood will be out of the water and a dry spot for the turtles to go.

*Again, I'm looking for comments on ways to design the tank in the way of supports and bracing the way I described above and am looking for imput on that subject.*

#4 ·
Think about putting rectangular braces across each end of the tank, perhaps as much as 6" wide. That is even stronger than triangular braces, but easier to do, perhaps. I haven't tried this, and I have only removed the rim from a 10 and 15 gallon tank, so my experience is limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.