turn ozonizer into co2 reactor? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)
turn ozonizer into co2 reactor?

My brother no longer uses his ozonizer for his reef tank and gave to me for free. Now im wondering if i could turn this thing into an external reactor.

Here is what the whole unit looks like at 13" tall

There are 2 Hose barbs and 2 airline connectors. The Barb in middle goes all the way to bottom of canister and one of the airline connector also goes all the way down to bottom

If i use the middle barb for outlet would this work? BTW this thing only cost $10 brand new, so it might be cheap alternative to Aqua Medic 1000 and a lot easier to clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Adkins.its
I don't see why you couldn't run it as a co2 reactor. I would obviously break it down as far as you need to, to make sure all the residue is cleaned out from the reef water. A suggestion for cleaning the bio balls well is to put them in a pot of boiling water for just a few seconds and then lay them to dry.

Anyways on your setup to make it a reactor. I would run your intake in the center and output on the right. As well you would want to put the co2 line on the one that goes to the bottom, then the other line you could either block it off or run it to the venturi on a power head to take out all the built up gas that will form in the reactor. I think that is similar to Tom Barr's design.

Thats also extremely cheap if it affective.

11.4g - Rimless Tree Scape
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)
hmm AM1000 has intake on top and output on bottom. what you suggest is the opposite of how AM1000 works.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Yup, you would want the in to the reactor go to the top (right barb), and the out from the bottom (center barb). Inject the CO2 from the tube that goes to the bottom, this way the bubble rising against the flow will dissolve it.
The other airline nipple can be used as a purge. to get any gas build up.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Adkins.its
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
Yup, you would want the in to the reactor go to the top (right barb), and the out from the bottom (center barb). Inject the CO2 from the tube that goes to the bottom, this way the bubble rising against the flow will dissolve it.
The other airline nipple can be used as a purge. to get any gas build up.
Sorry, what Taz explained with the water flow is what I meant. I just read which way you said it was plumbed incorrectly. I appologize.....I have really bad dyslexia when I write stuff in a hurry.

11.4g - Rimless Tree Scape
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do you have a link to a new unit for $10?

I think this would work great for a reactor!!! With the above configuration, bubbles rising up through the water flow and a venturi on the second airline fitting as an auto-purge.

Thanks,
AndrewH

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode