Looking for a LED DIY ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
Looking for a LED DIY ?

Hi

I am completely new to LED light, so please pardon any mistake.
Let say i want to intergrate a LED system that use the household power supply into my tank hood ( DIY 29 G, already have AH light fixture ). Where should i start now ? Anyone can recommned good part for this project. Again, i have no idea what to get.

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Not sure what you mean by "LED system that use the household power supply".

Am I assuming correct that this is for a moonlight?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nickboudin
I got mine at my local advanced auto parts. I bought a 12 inch blue LED strip. It's for a ciggarette lighter, but I actualy cut the wires, and hooked it up to a 12 volt plug. Wired it up, and it works great.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i am not so familiar with the LED itself. I want to set up a light that is use only at night to not disturb the fish. It has many color light red, blue .. I hope you can understand what system i am talking about.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickboudin View Post
I got mine at my local advanced auto parts. I bought a 12 inch blue LED strip. It's for a ciggarette lighter, but I actualy cut the wires, and hooked it up to a 12 volt plug. Wired it up, and it works great.
Your house runs on 12V? You must have some very dim lighting.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm sure they mean a 12v to 120v transformer . Actually, low voltage lighting isn't that uncommon. It's not that it's dim, it just uses more amperage

Stagius: How DIY savvy are you? Could you buy all of the individual parts and solder, wire, and install them yourself. Or are you wanting a pre-made system on the cheap?

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I know not that much about LED but still set up a moonlight system for my tank. Got all the parts and assembled them.

See my signature for DIY Moonlighting.

For led, since they run on very low voltage, you can't just plug directly to household sockets, which run on about 120v. You need a transformer/adapter/resistor in between.

Edit: It costs about $10, excluding soldering gun.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@AndrewH: I am not expert DIYer by any means. I prefer to have a simple kit, with all the part so that i can integrate into the hood by myself. However, if you can provide me a full list of part, I think i can get something to work

@dekstr: Great article ! I will definitely give it a try
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I'm sure they mean a 12v to 120v transformer . Actually, low voltage lighting isn't that uncommon. It's not that it's dim, it just uses more amperage

Stagius: How DIY savvy are you? Could you buy all of the individual parts and solder, wire, and install them yourself. Or are you wanting a pre-made system on the cheap?
I think you mean 120 volts to 12 volts...
Starting with 12 volts from the mains is a bit... low.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dear LED expert! is there any kind of LED that are able to be submerge. I would prefer to have them underwater.
Alternatively, I was just thinking about putting a range of LED into a clear tube that completely seal at both end. THe idea come from this link, http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-15-blue-LED...QQcmdZViewItem.

I want to make something similar to this, but much cheaper. Is it possible ? Still have no idea how to water-proof sealing though.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.besthongkong.com/product_...roducts_id=178

Just got this link. If i get this right, this product can submerge in water. They don't need a resistance, do they ?

The price is pretty reasonable though. In case I can't do a DIY LED, i gonna buy from this site.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagius View Post
http://www.besthongkong.com/product_...roducts_id=178

Just got this link. If i get this right, this product can submerge in water. They don't need a resistance, do they ?

The price is pretty reasonable though. In case I can't do a DIY LED, i gonna buy from this site.
hey stagius that's a pretty good idea from the site, waterproof led strip light. It might be a little too powerful for night-time though.

Who's the DIY LED expert?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to nickboudin
Yes 120 volts to 12. It's a tansformer plug, I belive. From a charger of some sort.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Planted Member

make sure it has a built in rectifier, otherwise you could blow an led, considering that most cant take 15 volts and a 10:1 xfmr has a 16.9 volt peak on the secondary. Most purchased units will have this, but with diy, often times things like this could be overlooked

Filstar pimp #116! aka Neven elsewhere
Tanks:
v2 planted community; 10G guppies;
nano; 2.5G Betta
old scapes:
v1;
v3;
v2
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

rectifier is simply a diode, right ? if so, a resistor would be the same. wouldnt it ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode