Best wood to build stand - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Best wood to build stand

What's the best wood to build aquarium stand? Should I use treated wood?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hardwood boards, Marine-grade plywood, and MDF are probably the three you'd look at. A lot will depend on what type of finish you're planning on applying to the stand.

For painted stands most will choose MDF as it's cheaper and has a smooth finish on it that takes paint well. But wear a dust mask when cutting it as the fine particles are very bad to breath in.

I wouldn't use treated wood as the pressure treating is applied to prevent bugs from attacking it. It's not a waterproofing.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes to hardwood and plywood, but if any water gets into MDF it expands you would want to make sure it's sealed very well, even still water finds it way into every crevice.
daFrimpster likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
If you are going to paint or skin it with paneling simply use regular lumber. I have built many stand from studs from Lowe's. If the wood is going to be exposed and stained or varnished you might want to think of hardwoods.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm going to skin it, so I plan to build with 2x4s and 2x6s. I do plan to paint the interior, maybe even waterproof line the bottom part. Do hardwood comes in 2x4 or 2x6? Sorry I'm a newbie at this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
The best wood to build a stand would be teak, but thats just me (and its expensive...)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Around here, both Home Depot and Lowes have 1/4" Lauan Plywood for about $11 per sheet. If you're on a budget that's what I'd use to skin the stand. Lauan is also known as Mahogany, which is known for being moisture resistant. I wouldn't use the stuff from Home Depot to build a boat (apparently it has a lot of internal voids) but for furniture it should be just fine as long as it has one clear face. I'm going to build a wall unit in the next couple months to hold my 55g, I'm going to use 2x4 construction under the tank and build a skeleton out of hemlock with mahogany skin for the rest. It'll make more sense once you see it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoile View Post
What's the best wood to build aquarium stand? Should I use treated wood?

Thanks.
Absolutely not. The wood is treated with Arsnic.

I built a couple of stands a long time ago with doubled up pine 2X4s (effectively making them 4x4s) for a 110 gallon and a 125 gallon. They were rock solid and worked great.

Personally, I would not use MDF because it doesn't hold up well if it gets wet. I would stick with a decent plywood.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Absolutely not. The wood is treated with Arsnic.
Not any more. Even though the EPA said it was safe in its usual applications, there was enough hysteria about it that the industry asked the gov't to ban it for non-industrial uses. That suited the industry just fine, as they all were then "forced" to switch to a non-arsinic formula with more copper, which is more expensive, and increased their revenue.

That said, except for certain structural uses, like in contact with concrete, or in certain termite-ravaged areas (e.g., framing lumber in Hawaii is all treated), I wouldn't use treated lumber indoors.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT View Post
Not any more. Even though the EPA said it was safe in its usual applications, there was enough hysteria about it that the industry asked the gov't to ban it for non-industrial uses. That suited the industry just fine, as they all were then "forced" to switch to a non-arsinic formula with more copper, which is more expensive, and increased their revenue.

That said, except for certain structural uses, like in contact with concrete, or in certain termite-ravaged areas (e.g., framing lumber in Hawaii is all treated), I wouldn't use treated lumber indoors.

I stand corrected PDX-PLT. Thanks for the info. I did some reading up and you are right. The verdict is still out on the alternatives that are used today as to whether they are safe (amine copper quat (ACQ) and copper azone (CA)).

The bottom line is that pressure treated lumber is not necessary for building a stand. I have built stands with conventional lumber and they worked great. You just need to be certain that your stand can take the weight from a tank that is filled with water, substrate, etc. You also want to make sure that the weight is distributed from the tank to the stand to the floor.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
Just use 2 x 4's & skin it! The results are great & ROCK SOLID! (Plus, it's inexpensive & most people can do it themselves with nothing more than a Skill saw & miter box. You could use just a Skill saw, but, I find it's better with a miter saw to get nice perpendicular cuts. Plus you can use the miter to trim out your stand & make it look that much better. I have built numerous stands for myself & others. All using 2 x 4's for the "skeleton" (or 2 x 6's on larger tanks like 125 & above). I'm in the process of rebuilding a "built-in" that some one was using as a stand for a 125. The built-in was built using 1 x 4 oak. It looks nice, but, the whole thing sank one the front & is leaning to one side now. I think the built-in was originaly for an entertainment center. I just bought the house & one of the things I liked about it was the 125 Gal. tank. If anyone is interested, PM me & I'll send out pics... I may end up doing a Thread about the whole build if anyone is interested... Just PM me & let me know. I'll try to take as many pics as I can, I know how we all love pics! LOL!

Steve X.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I second 2x4's, I used tongue and groove cedar paneling for the outside.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

If I have the extra money, I use cedar two-by-fours. These are much more water and insect resistant than ordinary pine boards. It's also somewhat lighter and is easier to make dato cuts with it.

It also looks good for years even after one has repeatedly spilled water on it.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Hardwood is definitely the "best" wood to use, but they're all the same once you put a coat of polyurethane on. I usually use hardwood for support structure of the stand then use a cheaper wood, like pine, for the walls.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Leaf Aquariums View Post
I second 2x4's, I used tongue and groove cedar paneling for the outside.
Did you skin it with plywood first or apply the cedar paneling directly to the 2x4s?

I'm going to put barn boards on the outside but didn't know if I should skin it with plywood first or not.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode