Need help with DIY (yeast method) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Need help with DIY (yeast method)

Hello guys, i have a 2 bottle DIY setup, i was currently using the original 3 packs that they sell at the store to produce CO2. But last sunday decided to buy a bottle of yeast and a small box of baking soda. (i saw a thread where a guy is able to grow hard plants with a DIY setup using this mix) i used 2 tablespoons of yeast and 2 teaspoons of baking soda and dont remember how much sugar. But the first time i did it within the first 30 minutes, all the mixture started going inside the tank and had to do a 75% water change, i figured that the check valve i have was backwards?? So inverted the valve and made the mix again. No mix going inside the tank but still two days with no bubbles . Should i just do yeast/sugar and no baking soda? This baking soda mix makes so much pressure that it looks one of my bottles is going to explode. Am i putting to much?? Sorry for the long post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie

Last edited by mrkookm; 02-05-2008 at 10:12 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
No, the check valve wasn't backwards. That's why you have no bubbles. When you reversed it, you put it so that stuff could go into the bottle but not come out. You want it the other way around. You're producing tons of CO2, but none of it can get past the check valve. If you don't reverse the check valve, eventually something is going to pop.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
oh wow, no wonder one of the bottles like starting leaking mixture. When i get home today i put the valve how it was before, but i am afraid the mixture would go in the tank again. Sorry i didnt mention i am using 2 apple juice bottles not the 2L soda bottle.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie

Last edited by mrkookm; 02-05-2008 at 10:12 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is there a certain brand of yeast that works well? I purchased a bottle of yeast that was "Active dry yeast" will this be ok?

I have the same setup as Kreativ, I'm not seeing any bubbles either. It's been 2 days since I bottled the brew. I figure either the yeast is to blame, or theres a leak in one of the hoses somewhere.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
i am new to the planted tank world, but i think when using yeast and such, it would be very much the same as cooking, cept you won't be eating it, i been cooking/baking/making food for the past 10+ years and basic to wine making, so i think the method will be very much the same, just make sure u leave ur open bottle of yeast in ur fridge, somewhere dry...
for my diy co2, i been using 2 cups of sugar 'minus one tbsp' "too much sugar can kill the yeast fast', what i did was add about 2 cups water to it and cook it on the stove just til right before it boils, just until the solution becomes clear, and remove from heat, its almost like making a basic syurp. i then add couple ice cubes to cool it down a bit, in a differnt cup i add a pinch of sugar and some warm water and 3/4 tsp of the yeast to active it, wait couple mins then add the sugar water and the yeast mix to a 2l pepsi bottle, just make sure the sugar water is luke warm before u add the mix, then i add a pinch of baking soda, and a small pinch of salt, then fill the 2l pepsi bottle with water, i just fill it up to the point where the bottle starts to narrow...shake well thats it...
many of you will be wondering why salt, i don't know how to explain it, but it just helps, i started 10 batchs of the diy co2 3 weeks ago, all made differently, only this one lasted over 12 days with a constant bps, it just depends on time of the day and the temp its kept at, i left mine on my 65watt coralife light stand, so it stays warm about half a day producing about 2bps - 3bps, then at night it drops down to 1bps and sometime every 2 or so seconds... i'll take a pic of the setup i got when i return home from work tonite...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
too much sugar WILL NOT KILL YEAST.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Too much yeast or too much sugar will cause the CO2 production to be too fast and becoem exhausted too quickly (I think that is where the kill comment came in).

Basically, you want a dilute solution that will slowly produce CO2 for a couple of weeks. The soda helps the dilute solution from becoming too acidic before the sugar is exhausted.

I never did anything fancy to activate the yeast or dissolve the sugar. Put the sugar in first followed by warm tap water, shake well, add yeast, shake a little. If you don't have leaks it will bubble shortly. Leaks are usually the problem more than the yeast. The OP definately exhausted their mixture with too much yeast.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah.. what i ment was too much sugar will slow down the yeast activity ,turning sugar into ethanol, then the rest is pretty much like making wine... then at the end the yeast dies...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
wrong again. More sugar speeds up the yeast activity.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

man.. so this is way different then baking... next time i should just place the dough into the diy co2 XD and here i was thinking the princple is the same when it comes to yeast...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode