Help making a 46g bowfront canopy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Help making a 46g bowfront canopy

Allright guys, I want to make a canopy for my 46g Bowfront. But how would I make the bowed front piece. I was thinking of using a thin laminate and bending it to the shape I needed. Then I was also thinking of getting a 3/4'' board, and cutting slits the full width apporx 3/8'' deep, then soaking it and clamping it into the shape I want. Please, any ideas would be helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I would build the back and side frame with a support brace dead center. Then put the appropriately cut bow length piece (maybe a little larger than needed) on the bow. The support brace should give you a focal point to bend the plywood *gently*. I would then tack it with screws on one side and bend it down to the other side. Mark a line on the overlap if you cut the piece a little long. Then take the bow piece off, cut off the extra.

Then screw the whole thing into place. Make sense? One thing that might make it easier to bend is to moisten the wood at the bend point. It would give you some flexibility. It might not be necessary though.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

One thing I forgot to add is that you are going to have an edge that hangs out a little on both sides because of the bow shape meeting both sides of the canopy. I wouldn't worry about this and just sand it flat with coarse sandpaper working up to finer grits for the finished look.

I can't wait to see how this comes out. It is making me itch for a big bow front!

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 AM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nothing really to add, except good luck! I started a canopy for my 46g a couple years back. I was actually pretty proud of the design, but when the front piece didn't bend as perfectly as I wanted (okay...so I'm a bit of a perfectionist!!), I lost steam, and now it sits about 85% complete. I'm sure very few would even notice...but it bugged me.

I'm not much of a wood-worker, but I do like the idea of the slotted wood, assuming you have the tools to do the multiple slots (I'm assuming you are talking top to bottom). That might actually help the wood bend the way you want it to and give it a more uniform curve.

Please do post some photos if you get something you like.

Regards,
Brian.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnellis3023 View Post
Allright guys, I want to make a canopy for my 46g Bowfront. But how would I make the bowed front piece. I was thinking of using a thin laminate and bending it to the shape I needed. Then I was also thinking of getting a 3/4'' board, and cutting slits the full width apporx 3/8'' deep, then soaking it and clamping it into the shape I want. Please, any ideas would be helpfull.
1/2" plywood, slots are 1" apart and 3/8" deep.Here are some quick pics......DC

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
My solution for my 72g bow was to put doors on the front. So all you need is a frame on the bowed side. I used two 1x10 pine pieces and cut the curve out of it (traced it with the piece resting on the tank top, then cut with a jig saw, routed the edges to make it look pretty).

For the top piece, I left it looking like this: (the teeth part), but for the bottom piece I cut it to about 1" thick so I could get into the tank.

On top of the canopy I used two more pine boards, not attached.

For the doors, I used 1x6 pieces cut and routed, then used curved braces behind them to hold them together.

See the first picture in this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...now-mbuna.html

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:58 PM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nice alternative, Kevin.

DC - well done! Here's another thread that shows the multiple cuts approach (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-question.html ).

Now if I just had the time and the tools ,
Brian.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Hmmm. I would be tempted to try this bendable plywood stuff. Unfortunately the best info I can find indicates that it's a type of lauan, which is fine, usually looks pretty decent, but I don't know how that would go with say, oak. Also I'm not sure if it would take a veneer or not if you did want to try to match another wood. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Luan is also moisture resistant, I'm going to use it to build a wall unit for my 55g tank. Our house has a lot of original construction with mahogany so it should work out pretty well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode