Best type of diffuser for a DIY co2 system? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Best type of diffuser for a DIY co2 system?

Hey there everyone, just wondering what a good diffuser for a DIY co2 system is. Are the ladder systems just as effective as the small glass diffusers? Or what other type might work well?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have tested the ladder, ceramic diffuser, feeding c02 line into strainer of my HOB filter strainer, and a modified Hagen mini submersible modified to act as a c02 diffuser as per
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html

In each and every case, my drop checker in my 10 gallon turned yellow, forcing me to run a airstone 24/7 to keep the c02 levels in the safe 30 ppm green range. This suggests that all diffusers worked equally well. Now the problem, unless you clean the diffusers each and every week you are going to get snot plugs forming, which will clog up your diffuser and reduce the flow of c02 over time. This snot plug is a clear snot like gel that develops every 3-5 days where the c02 bubbles discharge from the tube. The snot plug phenomenon IME seems to be an issue with only DIY C02 systems and not pressurized. So whatever method you choose, I would suggest that you use a check valve and bubble counter to help seperate the snot before it plugs up your diffuser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
i use the ceramic, the ladder does well also but it is kinda ugly and big, you can hide the glass ceramic one easier. But the snot is a biproduct of yeast fermentation and should be cleaned when it is visible. a toothbrsh works well.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad78 View Post
i use the ceramic, the ladder does well also but it is kinda ugly and big, you can hide the glass ceramic one easier. But the snot is a biproduct of yeast fermentation and should be cleaned when it is visible. a toothbrsh works well.
If you use a bubble counter like this in between the C02 ferment bottle(after check valve) and before your diffuser, it should catch the snot before it hits your diffuser,making clean up easy. Instead of scrubbing the diffuser to get rid of the snot build up, you just rinse the bubble counter bottle and put in new water.

Source: http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/pics/co2.html

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is co2 tubing really necessary?

While setting up my DIY co2 I was short about 14 inches of co2 tubing, can I just use regular air tubing for the rest?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Regular tubing is fine, although eventually the CO2 will corrode the lining.

Also, typical aquarium air tubing is usually made of silicone. It is not 100% impermeable, so a small %age of CO2 will leak through the tubing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I used this method and still had problems with stringy gunk that would collect not only on the diffuser, but spraybar for the filter. So, I'm not convinced that running it through a bubble counter will eliminate the "snot".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
If you use a bubble counter like this in between the C02 ferment bottle(after check valve) and before your diffuser, it should catch the snot before it hits your diffuser,making clean up easy. Instead of scrubbing the diffuser to get rid of the snot build up, you just rinse the bubble counter bottle and put in new water.

Source: http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/pics/co2.html

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Co2 tubing is recommended, but it will work with airline tubing also. Just keep in mind that the Co2 will react with the inner walls of the airline tubing, making it brittle and crack. This, in turn, will cause small amount of Co2 to leak.
I would just play it safe and get some Co2 tubing, as that problem won't occur. Sure, it's a little harder to get a hold of and it's a tad more expensive, but it's well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfrog007 View Post
Is co2 tubing really necessary?

While setting up my DIY co2 I was short about 14 inches of co2 tubing, can I just use regular air tubing for the rest?

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

Where can we get this CO2 tubing???

TANK:
46 Gallon Bow w/ Fluval 305, Inline Hydor ETH, 2 T-5 39watt 6700K, 2 Actinic Blue, 8 LED moon lights
LIVESTOCK:
8 White Cloud Minows, 1 Flame Dwarf Gourami, 1 Otto Cats, 1 Fancy Guppies, 2 SAE
INVERTS:
10 MTS
PLANTS:
Java Firn, Amazon Sword, Flame Moss, White Ribbon, Peacock Fern
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Co2 tubing

Here you go. Let me know if you need some. PM me.

Last edited by Green Leaf Aquariums; 04-01-2008 at 03:02 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode