Best CO2 DIY diffuser location? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best CO2 DIY diffuser location?

Hello. I have a 38 gal tank and I'm using a Fluval 303 for filter but instead of having a spray bar for the output, I have a Marineland Bio-Wheel Pro 30. I've read on some threads here that the bio-wheel will "outgas" my CO2.

I'm using a bell shaped glass diffuser tha has a ceramic disc to diffuse the CO2 bubbles. Currently, I have that installed near the output of the Bio-Wheel. So basically the CO2 bubbles are being drawn down by the rush of water coming from the Bio-wheel. I'm wondering if this set-up is actually making my CO2 useless because of the surface agitation. Please let me know where's the best location to put the diffuser. Btw, I also have the heater near the wheel output as well for better heating distribution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I've had great success diffusing microbubbles directly under HOB (hang on back filter) current, granted i have not used a bio wheel. The only real way you'll know for sure if you are achieving and maintaining a good level of CO2 is by adding a drop checker to the tank (basically an inverted vile full of pH liquid and 4kh water that turns green when CO2 is good, yellow when there is too much, and stays blue when there is not enough). Blacksunshine was selling some drop checkers in the past in the swap and shop forum and they work great considering the low price. Or you might post a want add in the swap and shop, also check ebay and aqaubid.com, just make sure you are getting the standard with it (the liquid that goes inside). Or else you're just going to get as many opinions as there are people here, and never really know what your own setup is accomplishing.

Welcome to PT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In the meantime, you can use this chart to get a rough idea of your CO2 ppm by comparing your pH and KH test results. It helps to know that your pH has settle a degree or so after adding CO2, or else the chart can be a little useless and confusing being that there can be other sources of carbonic acid bringing the pH down. A drop checker is far superior for being absolutely sure, IME.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info jaidexl. So, you think the current from Bio-wheel can actually ruin the CO2 distribution in the tank? What if I just use a spray bar instead of the Bio-wheel? If I should relocate the diffuser, where's the best location for this?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the overflow from the biowheel is knocking bubbles back down into the tank, I would say leave it. I'm not so sure a spraybar would be any better, especially if it's disturbing the surface, then that would be nearly the entire surface gassing off CO2 rather than one area of disruption from the HOB splash or the gas off on the biowheel. It's all just speculation without a drop checker or monitoring pH drops. The best method I've found that includes an HOB and microbubbles, is a limewood diffuser (or glass) directly under an Aquaclear or Topfin/whisper style HOB. Many people claim the Biowheel will gas off CO2 too fast, but I don't remember anyone backing that up with solid proof from a drop checker, and I'm 90% positive I've seen people here pulling it off with great success. In any case, you'll want your bubbles rising in the path of the current and getting knocked around a bit to get the best results. The tank in the sig pic below is running two HOBs (aquaclear and red sea) on either end with a limewood diffuser under each (from two separate yeast generators) and achieves 20-30ppm for the first few weeks into the mix.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's what I thought. The current from the Bio-wheel is actually pulling down the bubbles so i thought that it's a good sign that I'm fully utilizing those microbubbles.

Just another info that I think I forgot to mention. That Bio-wheel is attached to a Fluval 303 canister filter. The water from the canister filter goes up to the Bio-wheel then the wheel drops the water in the tank. I've seen some info from other sources that the diffuser is also good installed near the intake so the filter can suck up most of the microbubbles which they said is also and efficient way of distributing CO2 to the water. Any feedback on this?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode