Hamburger Mattenfilter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hamburger Mattenfilter

So I've been reading all the archived threads about these from a few years ago and have read a fair bit about them elsewhere around the net.

I think it would be a fun project for me and could work well for my expanding shrimp setup. There were a lot of people that seemed to be building them a few years back. I was wondering what everyone's experience was that used them? Are they still working? Still happy with them?

My tank that I am considering one for is a ten gallon low light shrimp and moss tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=mattenfilter has a lot of information on this. I ran a low light mattenfilter tank for a couple of years, and was reasonably satisfied with it, but I did find that the foam surface attracts algae, especially BBA, and that is never good. For that reason I finally removed mine last week.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
They're a great economical and extremely effective filtration option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you think I could use 1" Poret foam for a corner setup in a ten gallon. 2" just seems really thick. I pause as there is a warning on the Swiss tropic site that the 1 " foam is not suitable for HMF. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the 1" foam.

I could not find this addressed in the previous threads.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm not sure the 1 inch thick foam has enough strength to hold its shape as a mattenfilter. Even the 2 inch foam seems to be marginal at times. It must depend on how big a piece of the foam you are using. I know the bacterial layer that develops in the foam is near the outer surface, so thickness isn't a concern for that.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
You might try contacting them. Ask them if 1" will work for a corner MF.
I have been using a 2" MF, in a grow out tank. All seems to be going well so far.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
One of the bits I was reading on the HMF claimed that most of the bacterial colonization is going to be in the first inch, and any thickness over 1" is less for surface area, and more for structural reasons.

Assuming that's true, the minimum thickness of the HMF is probably proportional to lenght/height, and possibly shape (I would assume an arch/curved HMF would be stronger then a flat panel...)

I've got an quasi-corner in one of my tanks now, been running for a couple months. Mostly did it to hide hardware and keep critters out of the filter intake. Snails seem to like it.

I've also got another tank I'm hoping to get set up in the next month, it's an 8gallon hex that I stuck a 1" mattenfilter curving out from the back panel. Again, mostly to hide the heater. I haven't tried it with the pump running, but since it's a pretty narrow piece (maybe 8-10"?), it seems fairly stable with only a 1" thickness.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode