Help with a push button timing system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (9/91%)
Help with a push button timing system

Kind of a weird electrical engineering kind of question here. I'm looking to have a switch that when pushed, counts a timer off for 30 seconds, then triggers an LED. Each subsequent push of the button would increment an additional 30 seconds. I've been thinking of using the NE555 timer chip, but didn't know if cheaper solutions exist, catch is, it needs to be tiny. Like AA batter tiny in size. Thanks in advance.

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What do you mean by "triggers an LED"? So the LED is off for 30 seconds, then it turns on? For how long? What happens, exactly, with subsequent pushes? What's the supply voltage?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/95%)
may i know what this is for ?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

By triggers an LED, you are correct in what i was asking you. It's off after the switch is pushed initially, then 30 seconds later, it comes on. Subsequent pushes add 30 seconds to whatever the current timer count is. Ideally, they would all be pushed at the beginning of the sequence. I.e. Push, push, push = 1 minute 30 seconds. As far as the voltage goes, I haven't decided yet, it will be low though, not wall powered if that's where you're going with that.

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodwins View Post
Subsequent pushes add 30 seconds to whatever the current timer count is.
To what maximum? You'll need to specify this - some storage element will need to store it, so it can't be infinite; i.e., by necessity, you'll get to some point where subsequent button pushes just reset the delay to this maximum, but doesn't go beyond it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ah gotcha. 5 is max. are we talking storing some amount of charge in a capacitor? If thats the case, i could always scale that up or down.

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
By triggers an LED, you are correct in what i was asking you. It's off after the switch is pushed initially, then 30 seconds later, it comes on. Subsequent pushes add 30 seconds to whatever the current timer count is. Ideally, they would all be pushed at the beginning of the sequence. I.e. Push, push, push = 1 minute 30 seconds. As far as the voltage goes, I haven't decided yet, it will be low though, not wall powered if that's where you're going with that.
Sounds like a good job for a PIC microprocessor, although it may be more involved than what you are hoping for.

Do a web search on 'Microchip' or PIC.

I can't think right off how you would do it with just capacitors. You are going to need some type of digital circuitry, and as I mentally guestimate what it would take the PIC looks more inviting and more compact!
[Edit] the 16F84 PIC is available in an 8 pin DIP package---about 1/4 inch square. Total parts count: 4, not counting battery (or programming circuit)

Jim

Jim
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I've got a minor in CS, so I'm not afraid to delve into a bit of programming. However, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible as far as parts cost. I think the capacitor option sounds inviting. For instance: Push a switch, X amount is stored in a cap, push it again, you get X amount again, and so on. It will take a measured amount of time for the energy to dissipate and as soon as the energy is gone, that then could trigger the LED. It seems as though i could almost do away with the NE555. Thoughts?

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Push a switch, X amount is stored in a cap, push it again, you get X amount again, and so on.
The problem is that the voltage on the capacitor is an expontential function (v = e^(t/rc) where r is the circuit resistance, c is the capacitance, and t is time). Each time you push the button you will have to dump a different value of charge into the cap in order to get the equal length time periods.

Interesting problem, though. I will have to think about this one. Its just that you wanted something compact. The most compact thing I can think of is a 16F84 PIC, a push button, an LED with resistor, and a couple of AA batteries (and maybe a couple of small caps for the 16F84 oscillator).

My major, by the way is EE. Tried CS but kept getting closed out of required classes because I wasn't a CS student!

Jim
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would it be possible to use a digital kitchen timer instead? The button presses would be different, and you'd have to figure out whether it was possible to tap into the circuitry to get a signal to trigger the led.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The controlling factor on just using something larger is the size this thing needs to be. Small. Think the length and size of a single AA or AAA battery.

Jbolinger - It's been a while since i had physics II, i totally forgot that cap charge isn't linear :/ Any non PIC solutions come to mind?

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The controlling factor on just using something larger is the size this thing needs to be. Small. Think the length and size of a single AA or AAA battery.
Hope you're good with a soldering iron. Damn, that's some tight space requirements.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm alright, first step is finding a circuit that works though, then minimizing it is step 2.

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

Jbolinger - It's been a while since i had physics II, i totally forgot that cap charge isn't linear :/ Any non PIC solutions come to mind?
Well, yes. You could probably do it with 6 or 7 14pin or 16pin integrated circuits, but it would be much larger than what you want. Unless, of course, you want to try soldering some surface mount parts .

What's this for anyway? How does it apply to a planted aquarium?

Jim
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

its going to be used for part of a manual fert dosing out of a peristaltic pump. I would like to be able to do my dosing based off of 30 second increments, and space under my stand is at a premium. I'm basically trying to get it all into a single package instead of exploding all over the stand. So you feel like the PIC is the only way to go here?

I <3 Mods
I <3 YAA
I <3 _______

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode