spraybar for powerhead - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
spraybar for powerhead

I want to make a DIY spraybar to attach to the outlet of my powerhead. I think it will help distribute my CO2 much more evenly and efficiently and will add gentle circulation to the tank. I searched the forum and couldn't find what I wanted. Can anyone direct me to a thread on this topic or give me info about how to make one? Thanks.

75 gallon tank: gH 12 degrees, kH 4 degrees/ PC lighting - Coralife Lunar Deluxe fixture 4X65W (2 GE 55W 9325K bulbs, 2 55W EIKO 6500K bulbs)/ 1 Penguin 330 HOB filter, 1 Penguin 125 - bio wheels removed/ Pressurized CO2: tubing fed into input of a maxi-jet 400 power head, 4 bps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I would think it would be easy to fabricate out of some PVC, an end cap for the PVC, a reducer that would accept the appropriate hose barb and some silicone tubing to connect to the outflow of the powerhead.

Personally, I would either get an XP3 or XP4, build an inline DIY reactor and call it a day. I have gone the diffuser, powerhead, misting route and I couldn't find anything that I liked. I bought an XP2 and built a reactor and I love the results. I don't have any CO2 bubbles in my tank and my plants pearl about 2 hours quicker with the reactor. It also reduced the amount of equipment in my tank.

I was always skeptical about people saying the HOB filters degass the CO2 from the water. I can attest to the fact that a canister is better for this reason. One clear indicator for me was that the evaporation rate is much slower with the canister vs. the HOB filter.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[quote=BiscuitSlayer;504794]I would think it would be easy to fabricate out of some PVC, an end cap for the PVC, a reducer that would accept the appropriate hose barb and some silicone tubing to connect to the outflow of the powerhead.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a reducer? Unfortunately, I have a really difficult time picturing things. I think I'm going to need photos of someone's project.

A canister filter is not in my budget right now, but you're probably right.

75 gallon tank: gH 12 degrees, kH 4 degrees/ PC lighting - Coralife Lunar Deluxe fixture 4X65W (2 GE 55W 9325K bulbs, 2 55W EIKO 6500K bulbs)/ 1 Penguin 330 HOB filter, 1 Penguin 125 - bio wheels removed/ Pressurized CO2: tubing fed into input of a maxi-jet 400 power head, 4 bps

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I am not sure if reducer is the correct term. If you have a look at Rex Grigg's Reactor that he built, you will see what I am talking about at the top of the reactor. It is effectively a cap with a threaded center that would allow for an appropriate hose barb to be screwed in. I would use a much smaller diameter PVC pipe than what is used for a reactor (maybe 1/2" or so). Put a cap on one end. Put the thing that I called the reducer on the other end with the right size hose barb screwed in, and then attach a small bit of tubing from the spraybar to the powerhead. The spraybar would have to be drilled with x number of holes between the ends.

Make sense?

Edit: Forgot the link to Rex's reactor image: http://www.rexgrigg.com/reactor1.jpg

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Make sense?
Not yet, but I think it will once I look at it a bit. Thanks so much for your help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode