LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
DIY canopy question

i was wondering does it matter what the height is

« Neil »

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Yes.....it can help reduce light spill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
And, too tall looks ugly.
As well as too short.
Too short also prevents lighting possibilities.

Rena Filtstar #137!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so then how tall should it be? i will be putting an ah supply kit in there

« Neil »

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by resowner92 View Post
so then how tall should it be? i will be putting an ah supply kit in there
Ummm, good question. Six inches? Mine's about six inches tall, and aesthetically it looks about right for my 55 gallon tank. The lights are actually closer to the water than that however since the side pieces of the hood come down a bit to cover the trim. Also there is a 1/2" piece of ply for the top piece. So without going in and measuring, I'm guessing this puts the lights about 4 inches above the water.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
The main issue I had with mine was I wanted adequate height so that I could reach the back of my tank, without getting burnt by lighting. I made mine a little taller to compensate for it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by evercl92 View Post
The main issue I had with mine was I wanted adequate height so that I could reach the back of my tank, without getting burnt by lighting. I made mine a little taller to compensate for it.
Kinda depends on the tank. I've got mine set up with a hinge going down the middle and two banks of lights. I can turn the front bank off, have the back bank lit for plenty of light to work, and have plenty of room to stick my arm in there. The only prob I have is glare off the lights, unfortunately, when looking from the top, but that's a non issue when looking from the front.

Maybe a picture shows it a little better. Remember though, your situation may differ from mine.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well i dont really have to worry about reaching things because my tank is a 20 long but i like the hinge idea

« Neil »

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

Mine is 10" tall (from top of tank to top of canopy) & the hindge is 4" from the front.
Wanted the possibility of adding a HID light, the tank is a 135 gal. don't build yourself into a corner.

Way better to have the ability to do something you will not do, thain want to do something that you can't.

Deep,,,,

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
For a 20G tank I'd be inclined to forget about a hinge at all, you can just remove it and prop it against the tank. Ambient lighting should be enough during mantinence grab a flashlight. That's what I did on my 10G. The canopy is about 3" tall, just tall enough for a spiral compact, it comes off completely when I do water changes or prune.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It really depends upon what type of lights you have in it, my 130 gallon has about an 8 inch rise on the canopy, with four 55w CFL tubes it was far too hot. It was even hot with two fans!

I've built a 60 watt canopy for a 10 gallon (yes, it worked and it worked well for a while, then I could never get anything to grow again) and the rise on it was only about 5 inches, it didn't overheat (T5s)

My new design on an 83 is very shallow to improve the appearance, I've run tests without the water in it and I'm confident it won't overheat but I'm running T5's now.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

forgot to tell u guys i built canopy already in this thread
here are the pics if u havnt seen them yet
oh and for the height i made it almost 6in(my dad thought it would be crazy if they where lower becuase of the water)

« Neil »

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I build my canopies as thin as possible. Just personal preference...

I use 1.5" sides which gives me enough space to accommodate T5 bulbs, reflectors, and fans if necessary. Overall height under 2".

Here is an detailed description of one for my 100gal tank: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...y-100-gal.html

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM

The AH Supply "DIY" sheet for building your own canopy recommends using 1X4 for 55W PC and higher (5 1/2) for more wattage. If you have vents or fans that may also affect the height you want.

I have one I built for a 29 gallon tank that is just about 4 1/4'' tall. As someone else suggested, no hinge on this one, I just made it about 4 1/2" deep so I just move it back behind the hinge on the glass top when I need to open the top. If I'm working in the tank I just move it aside.

HTH
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by original kuhli View Post
My new design on an 83 is very shallow to improve the appearance, I've run tests without the water in it and I'm confident it won't overheat but I'm running T5's now.

That's just beautiful. OMG. I really like how the curve reduces the appearance of height. I'm with Wasserpest on this one that thin is good.

How'd you make the bend?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode