Ok so inspired by this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ne-shrimp.html
And wanting one of those baby brine shrimp hatchery dishes but not wanting to order stuff on line left me in a quandry, and a bit inspired to see if I could produce something similiar on the cheap since they aren't very expensive to begin with.
Item 1) Tupperware type dishes with dividers (2 x $.50) at my local dollar store.
Item 2) Brine shrimp net ( 1 x $.50) used & sterilized since I purchased locally from a Craigs list seller.
I know some of the dishes listed in the thread above came with eggs but some said they packages were from the 70's so not sure if those eggs are useable or not, anyway I got some I know are good from my LFS.
I started with the typical 3 chamber tupperware type dish that has the partitions that completely divide each chamber i.e. all the way up to the lid.
Each of the two smaller chambers have large holes punched through in the middle of the partitions leading to the larger chamber.
So I am basically starting a batch in each of the two smaller chambers, I am calling these AM / PM chambers. The idea being that I would start one batch in the morning and the other batch in the evening of the same day, and then put the lid on. As you can see I have modified the lid to allow light on that side, but it keeps the egg side dark.
Then when I am ready to harvest I gently dredge the collection side. I initially just siphoned them out with a turkey baster and then squirted them into the net but the little bit of water coming out was enough to make some of the eggs stick to the sides in the egg chamber even though the water was getting squirted back into the dish moments later.
Sorry didn't think to take a picture of my hatch, and these pictures are after the experiments but I'll endeavor to update the post later... suffice to say its a lot more effective than I thought and really cheap!