DIY BBS Hatchery Dish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY BBS Hatchery Dish

Ok so inspired by this thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ne-shrimp.html

And wanting one of those baby brine shrimp hatchery dishes but not wanting to order stuff on line left me in a quandry, and a bit inspired to see if I could produce something similiar on the cheap since they aren't very expensive to begin with.

Item 1) Tupperware type dishes with dividers (2 x $.50) at my local dollar store.

Item 2) Brine shrimp net ( 1 x $.50) used & sterilized since I purchased locally from a Craigs list seller.

I know some of the dishes listed in the thread above came with eggs but some said they packages were from the 70's so not sure if those eggs are useable or not, anyway I got some I know are good from my LFS.

I started with the typical 3 chamber tupperware type dish that has the partitions that completely divide each chamber i.e. all the way up to the lid.

Each of the two smaller chambers have large holes punched through in the middle of the partitions leading to the larger chamber.

So I am basically starting a batch in each of the two smaller chambers, I am calling these AM / PM chambers. The idea being that I would start one batch in the morning and the other batch in the evening of the same day, and then put the lid on. As you can see I have modified the lid to allow light on that side, but it keeps the egg side dark.

Then when I am ready to harvest I gently dredge the collection side. I initially just siphoned them out with a turkey baster and then squirted them into the net but the little bit of water coming out was enough to make some of the eggs stick to the sides in the egg chamber even though the water was getting squirted back into the dish moments later.

Sorry didn't think to take a picture of my hatch, and these pictures are after the experiments but I'll endeavor to update the post later... suffice to say its a lot more effective than I thought and really cheap!

Have Fun!

Current Project:
2.5 gal nano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
What's your hatch rate?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't know exactly how to determine the hatch rate?

That said, considering this was an experiment batch left on a bathroom sink and I guestimated the amount of salt needed I was pretty happy with my turn out.

I normally use the upside down soda bottle (1L) with the bottom cut method and hang it from the shower bar in the same bathroom.

Anyway the hatch rate was at least as good and all of the eggs were kept completely seperate which is one of the features I really liked about the above linked product.

I've got another batch loaded up so I'll endeavor to get some pics of my next hatch...

Current Project:
2.5 gal nano

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
good job.. You might want to spray paint the exterior black.. So the only light is coming from the hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's very creative. I'd been pondering how I could do something like that myself. In fact, I'm going to go to the dollar store today.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

mistergreen,

Its hard to tell in the pictures, and I forgot to mention it but I just used a little duct tape to cover the exterior.

Current Project:
2.5 gal nano
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
somebody on Aquabid is selling these for a three or four bucks. Cool DIY though.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode