Make your own fancy manten/seiryu stones - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
I DON'T REALLY CONDONE ANY OF YOU TRYING THIS YOURSELF. THIS IS JUST FOR LEARNING PURPOSES AND SO YOU KNOW MY PROCESS.

Ok here we go I went out on an adventure today to snag me up some dolomite with tons of CaMg ( Co3) " Calcium Magnesium Carbonate " veins in it. Im gonna go over the effect and how to make it look cool but also inert after the process.

Here's the stones before I washed them. Go ahead and give them a good old scrub in water so we don't waste any acid later on melting dirt.

Now to show you that the stones are indeed inert aside from the Calcium Magnesium Carbonate throughout the stones here is a pic of the vinegar test.

And here is a muratic acid test notice how only the veins bubble up.
I prefer to use hydrocloric acid but I don't have any till tomorrow and well im just impatient

Lets send these babys for a swim and see what we get.

Give it 20-30 minutes then toss them back in the water or leave longer if any veins remain.

Now lets see some of the finished product.

This is definitely not some of the better peices because they will have to soak overnight. The bigger the calcium vein the longer the wait the better they look. I will update tomorrow. If anyone is interested in purchasing some to fund my hobby feel free to pm me. I will be going around 2 bucks a pound which is faaaar cheaper than anything else around.

Here's a good one this little guy went in white and came out like this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-23-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hey, not bad!
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
I actually like the white veins in it.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
I actually like the white veins in it.
the original stones do look nice, but i think the veins would mess with the chemistry of the water so using them is out of the question ):

but op found a nice little trick!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
Hey, not bad!
Thank you choco.

The veins are not quarts or quartzite which would be nice since that would be inert. Its made up of calcium Magnesium abd low low levels of iron. Actually If you raise shrimp, have soft water, or use r/o the rocks woulbe be nothing short of a miracle rock for shrimp and bringing up your ph naturally. More molts more eggs better shells. Magnesium = less sick fish aswell. Unfortunately the Salt lake valley's water is nothing short of liquid rock so I couldn't use the veined rocks unless I got an r/o system going.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I could see anubias being able to really get a grip on those.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
So, unless we're using the same terms differently, dolomite IS CaMg(CO3)2. It's not inert, it's simply harder and more stable than garden variety limestone. This process sounds like it dissolves calcite (CaCO3) veins, leaving behind dolomite.

This sounds like a wonderful process for making attractive stones appropriate for use in many aquariums, but if the resulting product is dolomite, then I disagree that it is inert.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Playing with hydrochloric acid isn't a good idea unless you really know the hazards involved and take adequate precautions. But, it does have the advantage of being readily available at swimming pool/spa supply stores.

How do you recognize that the rocks you are working on have dolomite veins and not quartz? (Of course you can check them with a tiny bottle of acid, but at a rock supply yard I suspect that would be frowned on.)

Hoppy
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ive done bucket tests in the past with ro. And its called fitzville dolomite. And yes i agree hoppy i wouldn't suggest anyone experiment with hydrocloric but at my current place of employment I handle larfe amounts on a daily basis.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Steel should not be able to scratch quartz, but it should be able to scratch both dolomite and limestone.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything about fitzville dolomite other than another thread of yours.

Question... the resulting rock after you do your treatment, can it scratch glass? If so, then it could be chert, which is essentially microcrystalline quartz, and chert is inert.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-25-2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yea we are talking about something else jrh dolomite CaMg(CO3) 2 refers to the veins themselves. It very well could be chirt as im unsure of what the grey stone actually is from what I remember I was pulling 0's off the bucket test post treatment. Fitzville dolomite is only found in one spot near timpanogos caves I prefer not to say where specifically but they do have placs etc identifying tge stone.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could always cover it in a clear coat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi All,

Last November this same process was described here. It can be used on many types of limestone rocks such as the Ying (Seiryu) stones from China - with dramatic results.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi All,

Last November this same process was described here. It can be used on many types of limestone rocks such as the Ying (Seiryu) stones from China - with dramatic results.

Not to argue with you here seattle but im not decribing the same process this post is intended to show how to make these specific rocks inert. Ying stones are calcious in nature and would dissolve completely if left for to long. While doing the acid does bring out the crevices the same in ying stone it still leeches minerals into your water after. The post is also about getting the same style of rocks for much much cheaper than any ada stones abd keep them inert.

After some private messaging with jrh I miss named the stone and believe it to be fitchville dolomite not fitzville. The remaining rock after the bath seems to be chert which is inert "no leeching" which is why I got zero's on my bucket tests. It is not a calciuos limestone.

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:42 PM
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 what he said.

I like rocks, so I was curious about the whole process he was talking about. I did a little research, and there's a "cherty" dolomite rock in the Fitchville formation near him. Chert flint is a microcrystalline quartz, has a hardness of 7, scratches glass, and is inert. It sounds like the chert has veins of dolomite or limestone, which would be dissolved by the acids he's using, leaving a weathered looking yet inert rock at the end of the process.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode