Power supply/ driver question - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,127
Power supply/ driver question

I need to see what would be the best route to go IF I use the below parts

Power supply Specs:
[email protected] 56V DC 4.9A

Drivers:
Meanwell LDD's
[email protected] 9-56V

controller:
PWM Typhon

As you can see the PS output is equal to what the Meanwells can take:

so the question is is it "safe" to bundle the Meanwells in a series parallel fashion?

I understand that I could put 2 in series and 2 groups in parallel..
Each branch would see 29V and have 2.5A available

Problem I see is when you are dimming, if one driver is at say 10% output and the other 3 are off, isn't the "working" driver going to get overloaded w/ the voltage being equal to max input?

how is the excess voltage controlled?

I guess the point is it is soo close to max input that I need to understand the best route..

The 4 LED strings will have 1000mA max each but there Vf will be different (design adjustable to be close(r) but some of them could be 10V some 18V).

Seems I know just enough to understand what I really don't know.....
jeffkrol is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: "Out West, in the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
I need to see what would be the best route to go IF I use the below parts

Power supply Specs:
[email protected] 56V DC 4.9A

Drivers:
Meanwell LDD's
[email protected] 9-56V

controller:
PWM Typhon

As you can see the PS output is equal to what the Meanwells can take:

so the question is is it "safe" to bundle the Meanwells in a series parallel fashion?

I understand that I could put 2 in series and 2 groups in parallel..
Each branch would see 29V and have 2.5A available

Problem I see is when you are dimming, if one driver is at say 10% output and the other 3 are off, isn't the "working" driver going to get overloaded w/ the voltage being equal to max input?

how is the excess voltage controlled?

I guess the point is it is soo close to max input that I need to understand the best route..

The 4 LED strings will have 1000mA max each but there Vf will be different (design adjustable to be close(r) but some of them could be 10V some 18V).

Seems I know just enough to understand what I really don't know.....

I'd say- just wire all of your LDD's in parallel and do not worry about trying to match your VIn to the Vf of your Led strings. The driver is a step down buck controller and needs, by it's very design, a few volts of "headroom" over your Led's Vf in order to operate correctly. Total wattage consumed by the Led's is a far more important parameter to consider than Vin or the Vf of your led strings, when using LDD's.
Your power supply is rated for 274.4 watts maximum (56V X 4.9A) Keep the total wattage in mind. Each fully loaded LDD-1000H can output 52V X <1000ma or 52 watts. This means that you could drive a maximum of 5 fully loaded LDD-1000H from your supply (52 watts X 5= 260 watts) OR even more LDD's if they're not being driven at full load. An example- you could drive 8 LDD-1000H from your 274 watt supply, as long as each LDD-1000H was only loaded with enough leds to have a Vf of 26V. (26V X 1000ma = 26 watts. 26 watts X 8 LDD-1000H = 208 watts total drawn from your power supply)

Does that make sense?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
I'd say- just wire all of your LDD's in parallel and do not worry about trying to match your VIn to the Vf of your Led strings. The driver is a step down buck controller and needs, by it's very design, a few volts of "headroom" over your Led's Vf in order to operate correctly. Total wattage consumed by the Led's is a far more important parameter to consider than Vin or the Vf of your led strings, when using LDD's.
Your power supply is rated for 274.4 watts maximum (56V X 4.9A) Keep the total wattage in mind. Each fully loaded LDD-1000H can output 52V X <1000ma or 52 watts. This means that you could drive a maximum of 5 fully loaded LDD-1000H from your supply (52 watts X 5= 260 watts) OR even more LDD's if they're not being driven at full load. An example- you could drive 8 LDD-1000H from your 274 watt supply, as long as each LDD-1000H was only loaded with enough leds to have a Vf of 26V. (26V X 1000ma = 26 watts. 26 watts X 8 LDD-1000H = 208 watts total drawn from your power supply)

Does that make sense?
Perfectly.. and in hindsight my "worry" was no different than hooking a 36v PS to one 750mA LDD and running ONE 3v 1W led..
It's not the potential difference that matters but the current draw...
jeffkrol is online now  
 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: "Out West, in the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Perfectly.. and in hindsight my "worry" was no different than hooking a 36v PS to one 750mA LDD and running ONE 3v 1W led..
It's not the potential difference that matters but the wattage draw...
Lol- fixed it for ya. The Meanwell LDD's are a bit "magical" in the way they operate. They actually trade voltage for current at times. That's why wattage is such an important parameter to consider.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome