DIY stand/canopy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
DIY stand/canopy

So I started the stand for my new 240 gallon last night. Putting the floor, back wall, and the top on tomorrow morning when I get off of work. What I need help with is the outside of the stand (and canopy when I get there). What type of wood (I'm assuming some sort of hardwood plywood?) would y'all suggest for it? Trim? Stain color? Pre-stain or not? Hinged cabinets or the type you slide into place? Thanks in advance for the input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1796965_10203411091944777_584982418_o.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	277290  

Name:	1556276_10203411091144757_360358030_o.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	277298  

Name:	1939944_10203411090264735_1237904244_o.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	277306  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A 55 would make a good fit for a sump for that.
Depending on the dealer, hardwood ply is not that much more expensive in the 1/4" thicknesses. You might get some ideas from this thread.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=485689

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I specifically made it to fit a 55 snugly! Great eye! I'll check that thread out, thanks! To be more specific, I don't have any experience when it comes to staining hardwood and getting the correct trim or even if using 2 different types of wood (Type A for the main wood and Type B for trim) will make that much of a difference.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After reading that thread... if my stand turns out half as well as his does, I'll be happy!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't forget some ventillation and perhaps even forced air like maybe a couple of computer fans on one end cause between water evaporation and running motors
building up the temp you could cause yourself some issues without it.
Two to use/two as spares:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103052

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Already have 2 fans wired and ready to plug in to the canopy when it's built. That's a good idea about having a few as backup though. I shoulda thought to follow the "2 is one, 1 is none" rule.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
It appears like that is PT. You may see it start to twist in the near future. 4 x 4 PT is prone to it.
Staining a hardwood is really fairly easy. Most trim is a fir/pine and really needs a prestain/conditioner to avoid blotching. Personally I stay away from the polyshades all in one types. I just don't like the results. A good oil stain and a WB poly (minimum 3 coats). If you want satin use 2 gloss the final satin. If you want gloss use gloss but finish it like you would an auto paint. It will shine without the harshness of a straight gloss finish.

You could use plywood on the sides and then make a face frame out of 1 x 4 solid wood and you'd never need trim piece. The face frame covers all the plywood edges. The 4 x that will stick out into the door opening will act as a stop for the door.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Hardwood plywood is a great material to use. The most flexible type is birch plywood, because it is very light color, and has very subtle grain, which doesn't interfere with staining it. Oak is possibly an even better choice, if you like the open grain of oak. It also stains very well. Except for those two, hardwood plywood can be very expensive, but can look absolutely great. I once used mahogany plywood to make a large desk that fit inside a closet as an "office", that was as beautiful as anything I ever made. But, it was also very expensive. You do need a good plywood store to find those expensive plywood types, which I do have.

Hoppy
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Depending on your personal taste, you could also use frosted glass or plexi panels on the sides and front, inset maybe 1/4" from the face. Would give your stand a very modern/industrial look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Did you make a mistake and post photos of the bridge you are building, instead of your stand?

Hoppy
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol @ Hoppy, I'm getting the feeling I probably overbuilt it a little. I like the idea of the 1x4 solid wood facing AND the frosted glass idea. I'll ask the boss which one I'm doing and go from there. Thanks for the ideas guys!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good Lord! It is definitely built strong enough!
Surprisingly (to me), my "Marineland Majesty" aquarium stand for my 125 does not have a stick of wood on it larger than 1" X 4.
Actually scares me a little bit...

125 Gallon Planted Angelfish Tank

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, that'd probably make me a little nervous as well! At least next time I know not to spend so much on wood for the stand though
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I had a great idea earlier for the facade that incorporates the 1x4s into what appears to be a solid stand with no doors. Going to get the supplies later this morning. The frosted glass got vetoed. :/Pictures soon (I Hope)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
It appears like that is PT. You may see it start to twist in the near future. 4 x 4 PT is prone to it.
Staining a hardwood is really fairly easy. Most trim is a fir/pine and really needs a prestain/conditioner to avoid blotching. Personally I stay away from the polyshades all in one types. I just don't like the results. A good oil stain and a WB poly (minimum 3 coats). If you want satin use 2 gloss the final satin. If you want gloss use gloss but finish it like you would an auto paint. It will shine without the harshness of a straight gloss finish.

You could use plywood on the sides and then make a face frame out of 1 x 4 solid wood and you'd never need trim piece. The face frame covers all the plywood edges. The 4 x that will stick out into the door opening will act as a stop for the door.

Bingo on the PT.

Regular wood would f been good.

4 X 4 wow that will hold it alright.

Cedar would of been nice also.

Good luck on this one.

Looks damn sturdy though.

Jeff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode