DIY Faucet Pump (Python™) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Faucet Pump (Python™)

It seems like every time I use my Python™ Clean-n-Fill system, I'm always concerned about the brittle, plastic faucet pump breaking or cracking. One modification a lot of Python™ users do is change out the white plastic adapter in favor of the brass one since the white plastic one supplied will strip out pretty easily. However, most people talk about the Python™ breaking at the funnel piece, so I decided to recreate the pump in its entirety.

Before I started this DIY project, I thoroughly inspected the Python™ faucet pump to truly understand what makes it work. The first thing that stood out to me was the funnel piece where most of them break. It was immediately apparent that this piece was absolutely necessary. (see Figure 1)

Figure 1

The reason this piece stood out to me is 1.) it is funnel shaped, thus narrowing the path of the water and creating a jet of water flowing through the pump, thus creating the siphon effect and 2.) it fits down into the top of the faucet pump and forces the water coming from the faucet to bypass the side port/exit of the pump. (see Figures 2, 3 & 4)

Figure 2

Figure 3

Figure 4

After looking over the rest of the pump, I deduced that this particular piece of the pump is the most important part of the pump and must somehow be mimicked in my project. (Yeah, I was thinking the same thing; "how in world am I going to re-create this apparent critical piece with stuff I have laying around?")

Well, thankfully Preston took care of that problem for me! Included in a radiator universal flush and fill kit I had out in the storage shed was a little rubber piece that appeared to be a perfect fit. (see Figure 5)

Figure 5

Also included were three different sized "T" junctions; 1/2, 3/4 & 5/8. I took notice that these "T" junctions look similar to the faucet pump body of the Python™. I ended up using the 3/4 "T" junction for this project. (see Figure 6)

Figure 6

So after I found those little jewels, I gathered up the tools and other parts and pieces I would need for this DIY project. Here are the necessary tools I used: flat-head screwdriver, phillips-head screwdriver and a razor knife. Here is the remainder of the parts I used:

(1) 5/8 male hose end

(1) 5/8 female hose end

(1) cap for male end of hose

8" piece of 3/4" OD x 5/8" ID clear hose

I also used (2) 1" metal hose clamps (see Figure 7) for a pic of all supplies used.

Figure 7

To start this project, I had to trim the lip of the rubber piece to the size of the "T" junction so the hose would fit over it. I also made the opening a bit bigger because I figured the small slit would make too much pressure and splatter water everywhere(see Figure 8 )

Figure 8

Next I attached one end of the hose to the "T" junction over the trimmed rubber part. (see Figure 9)

Figure 9

To keep everything in place, slide a metal 1" hose clamp over the hose and tighten. (see Figure 10)

Figure 10

Next you'll put the female hose end on the other end of the hose and clamp it down with the supplied hose clamp. (see Figure 11)

Important Note: ensure you put the female end above the rubber (funnel) part as this is the side that will connect to the faucet and you need the water to go through the rubber part.

Figure 11

Next you'll attach another section of hose to the other end of the "T" junction along with the second metal hose clamp and tighten it down. (see Figure 12) You can make these hose pieces as long as you want, I cut mine just long enough where the hose end butted right up against the "T" junction. The sink I use during water changes is pretty shallow, so I was limited on the length I could make this pump.

Figure 12

Lastly, I placed the male hose end on and tightened the supplied clamp. (see Figure 13)

Figure 13

That completes this project and it actually looks pretty good. Once the faucet adapter is applied, this DIY pump is about 2" longer than the Python™ pump. (see Figures 14 & 15)

This project works just like the Python™ except when refilling the tank. When you need to refill, you'll have to screw the cap onto the male end of the pump to force the water out to the hose. I tried this pump and it doesn't leak a bit and works like a charm, providing quite a bit more suction/siphon than the brittle, plastic Python™ pump. Not to mention, once you purchase a brass faucet adapter, you'd be pretty hard pressed to do any damage to this project. You can easily make this DIY project for under $15, and it's well worth it if you ask me.

Figure 14

Figure 15

If you have any questions about this DIY project feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer any question you may have.

Happy DIYing!

Last edited by J.B.; 11-24-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
How very handy.

I assume autozone / advanced auto has the prestone kit?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, they are fairly common. Your local superstore (WalMart/K-Mart) will likely have them as well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow very handy. Gonna scrap my own DIY python plans--it's not working out--and follow your lead.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 AM
Banned

yeah mine snapped off at the little funnel while i was using it today!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
For the price and time of all of the above a simple "waterbed" fill kit will save you time and money... http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-65215/Detail
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 PM

i just went to walmart and bought a python for 30 bucks nd it comes with all the tubing
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I can't see pictures

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And "Like Us" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Sandman333 Send a message via MSN to Sandman333
Those pictures were posted 14 months ago, and the photobucket links have expired.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode