Gorilla Rack - Perfect Fish Stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Gorilla Rack - Perfect Fish Stand

Got a gorilla rack shelf for my birthday and after looking it over, even though it seemed sturdy I found DiabloCanines thread about how he reinforced the similar rack. Even though mine is a different style, I still wanted to add some 2x4s to help support some tanks. And I wasn't putting nearly the same amount of weight as he was.

Anyways, DBenz and myself decided to toss a couple 2x4s and 2x6s in place under each shelf. The pictures show it all. Basically I wanted some sort of support under the frame of the tanks. I am putting a 20H with a 10gal on the bottom shelf, above it I am putting a 20L planted guppy tank, above it another 20L DiamondBack Terrapin tank, and hopefully some 5.5gals or so with some RCS colonies or something on the top. After we placed the boards underneath the shelves, and added the extra shelf rail on the side for stability the stand is sturdy as hell. I had an old wire shelf, and the 20H would make the wire start to bow in the middle, same with the turtle tank.

The support beams are cedar pieces I got from my old workplace.

20L Planet Green Zone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Filstar PIMP #111
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey gundy,

I like the idea of the 2x4s and 2x6s, and the overall idea of a fish rack.

For the reinforcement, basically you put the 2x4s underneath the particle board right?

I was just thinking of making/buying my own gorilla rack--how much did it cost to buy yours?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)
It will hold the weight, but in my eyes you will get 10 demerits for presentation...it aint gonna win a beauty contest without some very simple beautifications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
foam

Are the racks made of galvanized steel or are they coated? If not you could always put some foam insulation (like what fake backgrounds/cichlid grotto's are made of) under the tanks, I think DiabloCanine did that in order to soften the weight, as well as keep the boards drier...just a thought...

Kevin

Sheer Madness!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Corrosion Resistant Steel
Rust & Scratch Resistant

I am just went ahead and used the laminate wood as the main base, it'll keep water from penetrating and easy to clean. Here is finished product in the corner, with all tanks setup. I really don't care how it looks, as long as it holds tanks! Also, next to the rack is my old wire rack. So surprised the wire rack held a 20H and 20L.

20L Planet Green Zone

Filstar PIMP #111
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekstr View Post
Hey gundy,

I like the idea of the 2x4s and 2x6s, and the overall idea of a fish rack.

For the reinforcement, basically you put the 2x4s underneath the particle board right?

I was just thinking of making/buying my own gorilla rack--how much did it cost to buy yours?
I got mine as a gift so I have no idea, and the lumber I acquired from my previous job for free as well..

So.. 0$.

I will say, once assembled with wood and all - it takes two 'strong' people to move the entire stand. Extremely heavy duty.

20L Planet Green Zone

Filstar PIMP #111

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode