Cabinet Doors?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cabinet Doors??

Hey all! I'm trying to figure out a source for some cabinet doors. I've come across several online suppliers, with mainly www.barkerdoor.com as a possible source, however my design was calling for 32L x 30H doors. However most places online only sell doors to a width of 24". Granted yes I could split the size of the doors, but that now doubles my cost for doors! I'm building a stand for a 125g tank with the dimension of 73L x 26D x 42H. I will be running a sump tank so I want doors on the slides of my stand to allow for easy removal of the sump. So here's what I need.

2 or 4 doors on the front of the stand (30H x 32W or 2 30H x 16W)
2 doors on the sides of the stand, one may be a dummy door for symmetry (~30H x 18W)
2 narrow doors for the canopy (feeding access) (~32W x 12H)

So with the total of 6 doors I'm looking at about $350 with $100 in shipping. (Priced from barkerdoor.com)

Anyone have any better ideas? Yes DIY doors would be ideal and probably cheaper, but I have no clue on how to make some good looking doors, or even the tools to make them. I don't have a router or a table saw. I do have a chop saw and a circular saw. Those are about all I have for cutting stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is there an active Craigslist in your area? I find lots of good cabinets put up for free, doors included. Many times you can get lots of matching doors from an entire kitchen remodel.
An alternate for DIY with the tools you have is fairly simple. Cut plywood to the size, either your cutting or home center cut to size, glue on ready made molding around the edge to cover the cut edges, hinge and hang. Make them overlap the door frame to cover any slight mismatch of size.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Sometimes it is better to design so you can use standard size doors. Or, get the doors first, and design to fit them. But, there are several ways to make doors that don't require a big tool investment.

Hoppy

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Check out Home Depot, Lowes, or a local hardware store. They sometimes sell "sample" doors. Maybe even look at Walmart/Kmart for cheap cabinets you could take the doors from

3 Gal Betta Tank | 10 Gal Shrimp/Fry Tank |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Sometimes it is better to design so you can use standard size doors. Or, get the doors first, and design to fit them. But, there are several ways to make doors that don't require a big tool investment.
So true. On all counts Hoppy.

I've done doors with nothing more than my tablesaw. By the same token I also built my cupola with nothing more than that tablesaw and a sharp chisel.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Is there an active Craigslist in your area? I find lots of good cabinets put up for free, doors included. Many times you can get lots of matching doors from an entire kitchen remodel.
An alternate for DIY with the tools you have is fairly simple. Cut plywood to the size, either your cutting or home center cut to size, glue on ready made molding around the edge to cover the cut edges, hinge and hang. Make them overlap the door frame to cover any slight mismatch of size.
So this was kind of what I was thinking of doing from the beginning, but I couldn't figure out exactly how to hide the edges of the plywood. I had the trim pieces figured out that I wanted to use, but just that whole finishing the edges was getting to me. I've seen a few edging veneer glue in place on the edges, plus there was another one I saw at Home Depot that was a small strip of wood about 1/8" thick that had beveled sides that could possibly work too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

There are a couple different moldings that might be what you want. One is "chair rail. It is what is used when the bottom part of a wall is covered with paneling and they put the trim on top to cover the raw edge. another and much smaller is available but the name is forgotten. Maybe panel trim?? Look for it near the quarter round, base shoe, etc.
Looks something like this drawing only nicer?

Cut the corners at 45's and glue it on?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Here is an easy, simple way to make a door, but you need a small router and a bisquit joiner to do it: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=91877&page=4 Look at the last few posts.

Hoppy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
There are a couple different moldings that might be what you want. One is "chair rail. It is what is used when the bottom part of a wall is covered with paneling and they put the trim on top to cover the raw edge. another and much smaller is available but the name is forgotten. Maybe panel trim?? Look for it near the quarter round, base shoe, etc.
Looks something like this drawing only nicer?

Cut the corners at 45's and glue it on?
Yeah something like this image could work out nicely. Just need to find some trim to work for that.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Worth watching...
http://youtu.be/LwHolwU1VmI
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hope you can find it where you are. It seems to be a pretty standard stocking here as I see it when I go looking for things of that sort. But I just never pay much attention to what they call it. Good luck.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode