Bottom pad for rimless aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bottom pad for rimless aquarium?

Hey guys, I'm building my own 55 gallon rimless aquarium using half inch thick low iron glass and SCS1200 silicone. I'm not having any trouble with the tank construction, but this is my first rimless tank and I've heard that you should set the tank on top of some sort of pad to reduce vibration. The problem is that the stand I have is flat top, so it does not have a rim or inset that the tank will fit into. I've seen where people will use styrofoam, which is fine if your stand has a lip that will hide it. Because the stand is black, I don't want to set it on top of a piece of styrofoam because it will clash with the stand and look terrible. I was thinking that I could get some kind of black pad that would be the same size as the bottom of the tank, relatively thin and discreet so it doesn't ruin the overall appeal of the tank and stand. I was thinking about buying a roll of Neoprene rubber and cutting a piece to fit the bottom of the tank, but I've read that Neoprene gives off a horrible chemical smell and is not good for indoor use. I thought I could get a black Yoga mat and cut it to size, but honestly Yoga mats are expensive and I don't want to spend 50-100 bucks just for a pad that is probably difficult to cut anyway. I suppose black styrofoam would work but honestly I don't like the texture of styrofoam as it will take away from the sleek modern look of my aquarium stand. Does anybody have any suggestions for what kind of pad I can use to cushion the bottom of the tank? Can anybody answer definitively whether I really even need a pad? I read that rimless aquariums are more susceptible to vibration since the seals are thinner. I don't know if this is true but I don't want to take any risks. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I bought a black yoga mat at Marshall's for $10. You might also try TJ Maxx. Also try Amazon. I'll bet you can find a cheap one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Anti-slip kitchen drawer liner/mat. Walmart carries a ton of this stuff.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Both very good suggestions. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:09 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
You don't set it on the pad to reduce vibration (although that might be a factor) but rather to account for any irregularities in the surface you are putting it on.

Both previous ideas are good, but you can also go with the free styrofoam option that I have in my signature. With 55g you'll want to find as dense of styro as you can as 55g is pretty heavy and will compact the styro more than a smaller tank will. You can paint the styro or use a small trim around the bottom to hide it if you are worried about the look of the exposed styro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Also, whatever material you use, you should know that some kinds break down over time, like those kitchen mats. I don't recommend those kitchen mats. Go with the yoga pad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode