need help with wiring pc fans. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
need help with wiring pc fans.

if i wanted to add a fan like this to my canopy, how do i get power to it? please realize that i am dumbfounded as to how you guys hook these things e.g. the process of wiring it and what power source to use etc. can someone please draw me up a diagram of how to do this and refer me to a powersource to use for 2 of these little fans as i am looking to hook up two of them in my future canopy. i'd greatly appreciate it!
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=299934

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Just connect it to your power supply. It's the box located at the top back of your tower. It's has a thick bunch of wire coming out of it and those wires will lead to several white male and female connectors that you simply connect the fan to.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danepatrick View Post
if i wanted to add a fan like this to my canopy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by htn86 View Post
Just connect it to your power supply. It's the box located at the top back of your tower. It's has a thick bunch of wire coming out of it and those wires will lead to several white male and female connectors that you simply connect the fan to.

That won't work....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank you Naja. not a PC. the canopy over my FISH tank. sorry if i wasn't clear.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
you need to figure out how many volts and what kind of power the fan runs on. I assume that it runs on DC power, in which case you need to find some sort of DC power supply close to that required of the fans you want to hook up. That's all the advice I can give you without making things up
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i appreciate your help stev.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a computer fan. Computer fans run on 12 volts DC. If you want to use that, you need to connect it to a 12v power supply that is capable of producing more current (amperage, A) than the fan consumes, but fans don't use much power, so almost anything you could find that's 12v would work. I only mention it to be formally complete. You can find power bricks at WalMart, Target, hardware stores, and Radio Shack, among other places. I'm not sure whether the fan's polarity matters or not when you hook it up.

Alternatively, I think you can get small fans like that which connect directly to household AC power, but if so, they're much harder to find. Good luck.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

how would this thing work?
http://www.hobbico.com/fieldequip/hcap0250.html
how would you connect to that? it says connects required. what kind of connection?

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)
i use an old cell phone charger in my terarrium for this application, works great.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
how would this thing work?
http://www.hobbico.com/fieldequip/hcap0250.html
how would you connect to that? it says connects required. what kind of connection?
That would do just fine. When it says "connects required" it means that you need to supply your own wires to run from the red and black terminals to the fan, that's all. That power supply is overkill though. I don't see a price, but I'm sure they charge out the *** for it. All you need is a wall-wart, whether it's 12v specific, or one of those universal ones.

Something like . It's less than $14 at WalMart for a universal one. Just snip off the plug and connect the wires from the wall wart to the fan wires. I think that if you get the polarity wrong the fan simply won't spin; if so, switch the wires and try again. You could connect the wires by twisting them together and wrapping each junction with electrical tape. Wire nuts are better. A proper solder and heat-shrink job is better still. I have all of those supplies on hand and I've done stuff like this before, so to me a job like this looks easy.

It is easy, though. I'm sure you'll feel the same when you're all through. If not, keep in mind that you could probably find something off the shelf that you simply plug straight into the wall. The trade off is more searching and less worry about your wiring job.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i appreciate all of ya'lls input. i get what you're saying now about how to snip and wire. i figured something like what i linked is way over priced, but i was just trying to get an idea of what you were talking about. now i did say that i will be using 2 fans. so would i have to use two separate wall-warts? i think you mentioned they make a more universal or higher V one.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Those fans will run on 12v or less--the lower the voltage, the slower it will turn...that's all.

If you have an old A/C Adapter laying around (many of us do)--check to see if its 12v or less and let us know.....

These fans should be available in 110-120v, but they are usually much more expensive.

Not recommending them---just letting you know they are available:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...4&Ntt=fan&Np=1

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Seriously, the easiest thing you could do is simply connect the fan (using its default connector, probably a 4-pin molex) to an old junky PC power supply you might have lying around. Then, all you have to do is use a bent-up paper clip to jump one of the black wires to a green wire, on the 20- or 24-pin power connector (the part of the power supply that would plug into the system board on a computer), and then plug it in to a wall outlet.

This is so easy it's not even funny.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
i appreciate all of ya'lls input. i get what you're saying now about how to snip and wire. i figured something like what i linked is way over priced, but i was just trying to get an idea of what you were talking about. now i did say that i will be using 2 fans. so would i have to use two separate wall-warts? i think you mentioned they make a more universal or higher V one.
No prob. One power supply will run multiple fans; wire them in parallel. Now that I think about it, I'll probably have to do something like this pretty soon myself. I just rewired my lighting today so that my bulbs are overdriven, and they're definitely running hot.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Seriously, the easiest thing you could do is simply connect the fan (using its default connector, probably a 4-pin molex) to an old junky PC power supply you might have lying around. Then, all you have to do is use a bent-up paper clip to jump one of the black wires to a green wire, on the 20- or 24-pin power connector (the part of the power supply that would plug into the system board on a computer), and then plug it in to a wall outlet.

This is so easy it's not even funny.
Easy for those of us who have junky PC power supplies in their closets.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode