Diy C02 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy C02

I have a 72 gal bow... with 2 55 watt 5200k and 2 65 watt 12000k , I know that';s really high im going to replace anyways...

I tried to do DIY c02 and did it this way...

got the the airline, got a fine air stone... got the connectors with it...

drilled a hole in the top of a 1 liter cap and put the connecter through it from the inside out... attached the line... put the air stone in the tank

brewing....

1 cup sugar (cane sugar) comes in alittle pink box dunno the brand im not at home right now will be later tonight

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1/4 teaspoon of dry baking yeast....

I boil water... add 1 cup of sugar... and 1 teaspoon baking soda.... shake alil to mix up...

put it in freezer kind of but didn't shut door all the way to cool it down to about room temp....

after it's cooled a bit... add 1/4 teaspoon dry baking yeast THAT I have mixed in a cup with room temp kind warm water just a tiny bit in a cup to get in a liquid form add a pinch or two of sugar, mix it more, it's got bubbles, trying to activate it... then i put it into bottle ( i actually did this while the water was boiling for the sugar and baking soda step)

then i add the dry baking yeast mix and run up stairs.

i then cap it and call my friend later that day and he tells me there are no bubbles coming out...

whats up with that? i haven't talked to him since then but shouldn't it have started?

do the bubbles come out consistantly? or what? and how many things of my exact mixture should I have for a 72 bow? you can just say liters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Might have a leak somewhere.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
1L containers and an airstone? You can probably get by with 15-16, maybe 20.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why not use 2L pop bottles? For a 72gal tank thats going to be alot of bottles though. I think for a 55gal they say to use 6 2L bottles.. so thats alot of bottles to switch out every week.

I use DIY recipe of 2 cups of sugar, then add warm water. Cap and shake to dissolve sugar. Then add one teaspoon of bakers yeast, and then 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. I then re-cap AND DO NOT SHAKE. Any shaking after adding the yeast/baking soda will result in a burst of bubbles which can shorten the length of the bottle.

I have two 2l bottles on my 20 long and change one out each weekend. So each one lasts two weeks.

20L Planet Green Zone

Filstar PIMP #111
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I run 4 liters total on a 30 gallon tank, so for your tank I'd probably go with around 10 liters of solution. More practically, you should go pressurized. With the amount of sugar you'd be using, the tank would pay for itself in months.

I usually don't see bubbles coming out of my airstone for a few hours, sometimes it takes overnight depending on how much yeast I add and ambient room temperature.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

I forgot to mention, I see bubbles within 30min of adding a new bottle.

20L Planet Green Zone

Filstar PIMP #111
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I believe the best ratio of sugar to water is 4:1, or 2:0.5.

I have heard that some people use those large buckets with the covers on them.

You would best go pressurized CO2. The amount of sugar you use can add up to much more the cost of a pressurized CO2 system.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah i will go pressurized for xmas but that's about a month away from now so I was thinking of the DIY method for the month.... what do you guys think I actually have probably about 55 gals in my 72 because i only fill it 5-6 inches from the top and then i have 3 bags of flourite on the bottom mixed with an equaul amount of medium sized gravel...

could someone recommend a healthy mix for a 2 liter bottle or a bigger bottle of juice that I could go buy by brand name for a month for about 55 gals of water or so... maybe 60 at most i would guess
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

4-6 cups sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp yeast
1tsp baking soda

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for being so helpful,

few more questions tho...

how long would the 1 gallon method last (roughly) and to be safe when should I replace the 2 if i do 2, 1 gallon mixes? also... uhmmmmm

hmm what else...

will 2 of these be alright till i can get the pressurized system around the end of december.

and

will it change the ph that much?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Each jug should last 18-21 days roughly. With that lighting You will need 2, maybe 3 jugs.

Hook up 2 as soon as possible and change them out every 2 weeks:

Each:
4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp yeast
1tbsp baking soda

If you start to have algae problems--add a 3rd jug.

Since you are only trying to get to ~xmas--just swap them out every couple of weeks. No big deal.

C02 is C02, so yes, your pH will change (move downward) the same as with pressurized. How much it will change depends on how much is in the water....same as with pressurized.

One of the best things you can do until xmas is turn down your lighting and/or shorten your photoperiod. What is the photoperiod?

HTH

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Algae Grower

Just out of curiosity is it possible to get a tight fit on those caps with those jugs? Thats alot of sugar, but I sure never thought of doing a jug that big, makes more sense then 6 2L bottles for a 55.

20L Planet Green Zone

Filstar PIMP #111
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

im going to do 2 today or tomorrow so i hope so
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, they hold the pressure just fine. I've used them and recommended them for quite some time....
Plus they have a wider more stable base than the 2Ls....

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Algae Grower

And would you change them out every 2 weeks at the same time, or alternate them?

20L Planet Green Zone

Filstar PIMP #111

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode