Using mylar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Using mylar

What are some alternative methods to attaching mylar?

I have a hood with a painted interior. I'd rather not ruin the finish by adding mylar. I hear mylar deteriorates over time, so I'll probably need to replace it eventually.

I considered using the 3M spray adhesive or staples. Can I peel the mylar off safely using the 3M stuff? I'd rather not put any holes in the hood so the staples are out. I've also considered mounting an aluminum sheet with the mylar attached to that, but I'm not sure I have the room. I'd rather not have to buy the aluminum sheet anyway. I might as well use a real reflector of I did this.

I already have the mylar and semi-finished hood. Mylar was part of my original plan for cost reasons, so I'm sticking to it. I'm not looking for reflector alternatives, only installation options.

Any suggestions or advice?
Please reply, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Perhaps place the mylar on a large cardboard or something and use those removable 3M sticky strip things?

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't staple mylar unless you reinforce the spots where you staple with some tape or something. Mylar tears very easily. Sorta. Tears propagate very easily, so they'll start at the holes made by the staples.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cardboard might be a workable solution, but this could be a fire hazard. Maybe I can coat it with some kind of fire retardant spray. Any ideas?

This is thick mylar. I doubt it'll tear too easily, but this is another con for staples to consider. Staples are definitely out.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cardboard sounds pretty good to me, and you could even use the corrugated stuff and cut it along the corrugations on one side to make a smooth curve. I guess it's technically a fire hazard, but really, how hot can your fixture get? I think it should be safe.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure but it could get pretty hot. I'm going to run 4x24W T5HOs. It will be fan ventilated. I'm also a bit concerned about the mylar catching fire. It's very flammable, but I think it has a high melting temperature. It came from a hydroponics store, so it's designed to withstand some heat at least.

The cardboard is a good idea. I'll probably end up using that, but i want to make sure it's safe first.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see what you mean about heat. I think I'm going to try making a cardboard and mylar reflector, but I'm only dealing with T8NO here, so way less heat.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflng View Post
I considered using the 3M spray adhesive ... Can I peel the mylar off safely using the 3M stuff?
I just recently made a very simple reflector out of some scrap mylar I had aquired. I used epoxy, and found that the mylar could be peeled out fairly easily afterwards.

Why do you need to peel it off though? If the mylar begins to degrade, just glue a new layer onto top.

I would however be worried about the spray adhesive eating the mylar.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
I see what you mean about heat. I think I'm going to try making a cardboard and mylar reflector, but I'm only dealing with T8NO here, so way less heat.
I think I'll go with cardboard too, but I'm going to try and find some fire retardant spray to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Bastard View Post
I just recently made a very simple reflector out of some scrap mylar I had aquired. I used epoxy, and found that the mylar could be peeled out fairly easily afterwards.

Why do you need to peel it off though? If the mylar begins to degrade, just glue a new layer onto top.

I would however be worried about the spray adhesive eating the mylar.
How long was the mylar used before you removed it? I'm not exactly sure how it degrades, but I understand that it will. Does it become brittle and flake apart or just lose its sheen?

I want to leave the painted underside clean. I may someday decide to use a real reflector and I don't want to have to refinish the fixture. Otherwise laying new over old mylar sheets probably would be the best/easiest route to take.

I read the 3M spray works well for applying mylar. I haven't really thought about the best adhesive to use yet. Maybe I'll go with epoxy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

If your hood interior is painted white, just leave it. The mylar won't be much of an improvement.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is white. i might decide to just use that eventually, but the mylar is pretty shiny stuff. I have to believe it'll do something.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
How long was the mylar used before you removed it?
The stuff I peeled off had only been on there for a few days

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how it degrades, but I understand that it will. Does it become brittle and flake apart or just lose its sheen?
I suspect it becomes brittle and flakes, but I've no first hand knowledge.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It'll probably be a lot harder to remove after it's been on for an extended time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode