-Need Help starting DIY co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
-Need Help starting DIY co2

I'm starting a DIY co2 and using a sobe bottle as a co2 producer. I'd say it's a bit smaller than a gatorade bottle but not much smaller(for people who don't know what sobe is). What is your co2 recipe? Is there anything else I should know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:13 PM

The general mixture is to 2 cups of sugar and about 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon of yeast in 2L of water. You can scale up/down from there, and also find that there are a lot of variations (some people add a touch of baking soda, etc).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok, thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I find that a 2 liter coke bottle works the best with a sobe water bottle as my bubble counter. If you use the sobe bottle to produce your co2 your going to end up having to change it out a lot. My mixture is 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of active yeast and a pinch of baking soda. I mix everything with luke warm water (between 75 to 80 degrees), don't do it to hot or you could kill the yeast. The yeast will foam a little so don't over fill. Once you get everything mixed up and sealed, it can take several hours to produce co2. Don't forget to add a check valve! Feel free to message me with questions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with greaser, I don't think a sobe bottle will be a big enough generator. If you're using it for a smaller tank and are concerned with putting out too much co2 you can still use a bigger bottle, just use less yeast and sugar.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Use a bigger bottle. A 2L soda bottle will give your yeast more room to ferment the sugar and reproduce, prolonging the CO2 production. I've used wine yeast, light brown sugar, and a little bit of baking soda (since my tap water is soft) in my mixes and I've gotten on average 6-7 weeks of output.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
I find that a 2 liter coke bottle works the best with a sobe water bottle as my bubble counter. If you use the sobe bottle to produce your co2 your going to end up having to change it out a lot. My mixture is 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of active yeast and a pinch of baking soda. I mix everything with luke warm water (between 75 to 80 degrees), don't do it to hot or you could kill the yeast. The yeast will foam a little so don't over fill. Once you get everything mixed up and sealed, it can take several hours to produce co2. Don't forget to add a check valve! Feel free to message me with questions.
+1 agree...I use 2 two liter bottles/2 cups sugar/1/2tsp yeast/1/2 tsp of baking soda on my 20L
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
As long as the sobe bottles are no longer glass, that should be fine. Just remember though, those bottles are not intended for pressure, so they may or may not seal well enough to hold that pressure back. Soda bottles can usually withstand close to 100 psi if I remember correctly.
What size is your tank?
I run a 20 oz bottle on my 7.5 gallon bow which was a sufficient amount until I started dosing ferts more regularly and at a higher concentration. I also have a lighting issue that I am trying to sort out.
My 8" cube has a 12.5 oz bottle on it and can handle the increased dosing schedule.

Both produce fairly steady CO2 output for about two and a half weeks. They have produced for over three weeks when the apartment is really cool and I get too busy. The smaller surface area results in lower off gassing rates, so it produces for a little bit longer.

I usually feel kind of guilty using the quick reply... my replies are rarely quick.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode