Need a quick awnser please.another question! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need a quick awnser please.another question!

Im doing DIY Co2 for a 48 gallon. I have 2-2 liter bottles I will be diffusing it with an airstone up into my HOB filter. My question is should I start both bottles now or wait how long apart? One other thing is Whats the best mix to use and how often should I change?Also do I have to have a bubble counter with DIY? Thanks!

Aquariums are like lays potato chips, You can't have just one!

-Owner of many tanks including lots of cichlids everywhere from 5" Angelfish to my 14" Oscars
48 Gallon Planted project:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
For a 48 gallon, you might need even more than the 2 2-liters. I'd say start them together and see how much co2 it provides for your tank. Do an advanced search for DIY co2 mixtures. There are tons of opinions on that issue

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

DIY CO2 Mixture

If you don't mind spending a couple of dollars, Petsmart has CO2 refills 3 per pack for around 7 bucks. Last 3 months per mixture. I currently use it on one of my 30g, works well.

All you need is pure cane sugar, and add in the petsmart mixture.
Here is a link for the complete kit, however you will only be needing the refills.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...earch&keepsr=1

Refills can be had at;
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=11134

As far as starting them, I would start one, then one week later start the second as they deplete you will have about one week to start a second batch without interuptions.
DIY fermentataion normally takes about a day or so to get going, depending on room temp etc..

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK I just tested my Bubble per minute coming out of the end of the tube and it was 28. I took off the airstone to get the count. Is it me or is this to high? could it cause damage to my fish.

Aquariums are like lays potato chips, You can't have just one!

-Owner of many tanks including lots of cichlids everywhere from 5" Angelfish to my 14" Oscars
48 Gallon Planted project:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbProducts View Post
If you don't mind spending a couple of dollars, Petsmart has CO2 refills 3 per pack for around 7 bucks. Last 3 months per mixture. I currently use it on one of my 30g, works well.

All you need is pure cane sugar, and add in the petsmart mixture.
Here is a link for the complete kit, however you will only be needing the refills.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...earch&keepsr=1

Refills can be had at;
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=11134

As far as starting them, I would start one, then one week later start the second as they deplete you will have about one week to start a second batch without interuptions.
DIY fermentataion normally takes about a day or so to get going, depending on room temp etc..
I'd say those refill packs are overpriced yeast, and stabilizer is baking soda?? Whatever it is, yeast is cheaper from the grocery store, and is effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt s View Post
OK I just tested my Bubble per minute coming out of the end of the tube and it was 28. I took off the airstone to get the count. Is it me or is this to high? could it cause damage to my fish.

Bubble count is measured through a bubble counter. Therefore, bubble count varies from tank to tank and isn't a reliable way to measure CO2. A drop checker is a reliable way however.

I would start 2 2 liter bottles today, and 2 more next week, and change them out after 14 days of use. This may provide enough CO2 if you diffuse your gas properly. I'll guarantee you that you won't kill your fish with two bottles in a 48 gallon tank.

I've used limewood airstones for a while, as they are superior to regular airstones. I now use my canister filter to diffuse the gas, and it is even more efficient.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode